In-House Analysis - Low Cost Gas Chromatographs for THC, terpenes and solvents testing

SRI Instruments is known for its US-made, low-cost gas chromatographs ( GC ) for testing cannabinoids, terpenes and residual solvents.

A GC test for terpenes and cannabinoids costs 15 cents. Other methods like HPLC can cost up to $15 per test. That is a 100:1 difference in operating cost.

The GC is less expensive to buy (costs $10,810), requires almost no maintenance, and is portable. You can fly with it as airline baggage or throw it in your truck to test in the field.

Even better, it runs on just distilled water. It makes its own hydrogen so no gas is needed to operate.

Please visit the YouTube channel to learn how to get started and to find answers to any questions regarding its use and maintenance. Just search “SRI GC Training” on YouTube or Google.

SRI’s US-based customer service is also happy to answer any questions on the phone (310-214-5092, from 7am-4pm PST) or on here as well.

6 Likes

Make it $9,999 out the door

4 Likes

F4200 special

1 Like

Irs special

10 Likes

Makes its own hydrogen from water? Right in the box? Man that is a badass machine.

This is GC-FID? What is the power draw on it you think?

5 Likes

Haven’t seen a spike in electric. I imagine it pulls less than any deceit computer

Yeah. It’s a gc-fid

3 Likes

Used one extensively for in-house analytics about a year and a half ago. Great little machine to get you some usable numbers at a reasonable price.

We had lots of trouble getting accurate measurements on acidic cannabinoids. I would chalk this up to the GC in general not being the best tool for that purpose, not any limitations on the part of SRI or their product. Also, we were not analytical chemists, so I’d freely admit some user error as well. Just an FYI to anyone else who might be considering this to primarily test flower or biomass or anything dominant in acidic cannabinoids.

For the record it worked very well on decarbed products.

6 Likes

We are having soooo much problems with cannabinoid acids too. It’s driving me crazy cause I don’t see any left over peaks

6 Likes

SRI, do you have a recommended derivatization method for acid cannabinoids? Maybe something that can be done outside the hood?

3 Likes
3 Likes

Yes they do, but IMO it just introduces more opportunity for non-chemists (like me) to screw things up in sample prep (like I did often)

2 Likes

having flown with this critter, it’s smaller cousin the 420, and moved an 8610C around town about a dozen times, I can vouch for that :wink:

many here are long time fans. Small Gas Chromatography unit SRI?

others are just getting started

welcome.

3 Likes

Excellent feedback.

This has always been my greatest concern with GC for acidic cannabinoids. HPLC is far more robust in this regard. However, the GC is versatile in it’s own right, and the ability to work with volatile compounds is certainly advantageous. Plus the ability to self-generate carrier gas is a strong selling point for those who are logistically challenged.

5 Likes

Hey Stephanie! Where would HHC elute during a test for the aforementioned cannabanoid? I got a sample of hhc, but it seems to only elute at the d8 spot. Does hhc elute during the same times as delta 8?

2 Likes

you might have some luck co-injecting with a delta 8 standard and twiddling the knobs you have available (temp/ramp speed) to try and achieve separation. other options are trying a different column or carrier gas.

all else being equal; relative elution order (how long each takes to reach the eternal flame at the end of the tube) depends on how the tube is heated and what you’re blowing through it.

even assuming an off the shelf column, H2 generator, and temp profile for 310MM, I’d be willing to be that SRI hasn’t had the opportunity to run a HHC sample.

edit: you might should also consider an HHC standard, 'cause you might just be looking at D8 :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Hi, there! I will ask my team to see if they can offer some advice.

Thanks, @cyclopath for your replies. I’m also happy to to know that you’re able to take your GC wherever you go! I think it has great packaging.

1 Like