I'm looking to make my own CBD topical for peripheral neuropathy pain - Recipes needed

Howdy all,

I have looked all over the forums and not finding what I’m looking for. I’m also still very new to the Canna world. So forgive me if this is a no-brainer for some. Thank y’all in advance.

I’m wanting to make my own CBD infuses topical cream and/or lotion for peripheral neuropathy pain. I’m a cancer survivor and have peripheral neuropathy due to the chemo therapy. My neuropathy is now mainly in my feet and toes. I’ve tried many brands and I like some, but some not so much. Some CBD pain creams/lotions have a heat or cooling affect, and that’s not a great feeling on my feet. Some make my skin even more painful. So I want to make my own and not spend $65 to $200 on a CBD pain cream.

I also know I can make it cheaper that I can buy it pre-made. Or I would think it would be cheaper if I make my own. I know that I can use my own CBD isolate 30ml tinctures. But I don’t know what else and how to make it. I’ve Googled up “how-to” CBD cream/locations and I get salves and “buy my CBD cream” crap. That’s not what I want.

I would like to make a topical that contains Emu oil, Coconut oil or butter, and CBD isolates. I’m just in need of instructions and other ingredients to make a topical for my own use. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hit up @Krative for formulations council.
Then show us how you did it when it’s done!!

6 Likes

My go to for “it rubs the lotion on its skin” has always been

5 Likes

@cyclopath I like the movie ref :rofl: And thank you for the link.

1 Like

I have had a couple people with neuropathy have good results from my full spectrum tinctures they are at a 10% concentration rate. (1000MG per 10ml) id give that a try VS a topical or try both together.

2 Likes

Here’s one; I use a base from bulk apothecary; BA has lots of good resources; it’s one of my favorite websites.

To this unscented base I add following cannabinoids;
CBD isolate
CBDA oil
CBG isolate
CBGA isolate
THCA isolate

You can get away with just CBD; but there is serious healing potential in a broad spectrum of acidic and neutral cannabinoids

I also like to add the following;
Menthol
Tea leaf extract
camphor powder

There are some terpenes that promote transdermal bioavailability; here is an excellent pub about it; I would look into formulating with some terpene isolates.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/21/12/1709/pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiC1qP0wZboAhVEJ80KHWMbAq0QFjABegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw33OFejTeLz3MPIzz5RnHek

^^the above link downloads a pdf^^

10 Likes

I’d go with either myself or @RockSteady for your topical needs as both of us incorporate the very important spectrum of cannabinoids to deliver effective relief.

2 Likes

@RockSteady, I sent a DM. Thx

Im looking to get a full spectrum CBD oil deep into the skin. We’ve been using nano with a surfactant but wanted to experiment with DMSO and a high-quality cream, any suggestions?

1 Like

DMSO is not something that should be used in retail goods.

4 Likes

@Rowan is correct. DMSO has many unpleasant effects, though it does increase absorbtion. My free tip to everyone who wants to make an effective topical is that it must get through the extremely nonpolar surface layer of the skin and then be able to be transported through relatively polar tissues. Pay me if you want help doing this to a scarily effective degree :smiling_imp:.

1 Like

Mmm permeation enhancers… why would a plant want to make something like that to a scarily effective degree?

Well who wants a boringly effective absorbtion? Not me! I want the people who use my topicals to be shocked and stunned by how effective they are.

6 Likes

Looks like a great concoction. Do you heat/melt → mix cannabinoid cocktail until melted (or melt separately and then mix) → cool while mixing → cuss at the bubbles while massaging with spatula?

Doing your own coconut oil extraction on plant material would be much better than using isolate, in my opinion. Take a weed butter recipe and use coconut oil instead, slow boil with water and cannabis of your choice. Cbg uses a different receptor to uptake so it seems like a no brainer to always add some cbg hemp, whether the conocoction is thc, cbd, or both. Those two compete, so too much of one will block out the other. After the boil, refrigerate the pan, take off the solid top, then warm it up and run it through a coffee filter. Store in the fridge. I would consider that recipe to be the basis by which to compare other topicals. Dosage is guesswork and you’re gonna smell like weed, but I would try it on anything.

2 Likes

Hi I just stumbled across this group and I actually just got a new distributor for hemp and they sent me some CBG I am a massage therapist and I want to make salve I have made CBD oil before and the folks that have tried it says it’s pretty effective so here’s my question if I make the oil how much of it do I incorporate into say and by the way I make it with MCT oil how much beeswax and or shea butter do I use to create a decent consistency I’ve never made weed butter… I was just going to make a bunch more oil and try to incorporate it into a shea butter that I have I also have cocoa butter I also have some abaceneca oil… And because I don’t want to smell like weed what are your feelings on adding some ginger EO and copaiba to it… Thanks ahead of time .

You’ll just have to play around with it. I like the coconut oil for its antimicrobial properties. Unless you have your product tested, you have to estimate extraction efficiency. In my opinion, exact dosage is not as important with topicals as it is with edibles.

1 Like

I use MCT but I would love to be able to make it smell a tad bit better