I'm confused over pumping glycol 😅

So I went in search of chillers and I ended up looking at penguin glycol chillers. It says you can pump the freezing glycol water mix with a regular submersible pump. So does this mean one can just get cooler,water,glycol and dry ice and just use a submersible pump to move that freezing glycol/water mixture around while using some kind of inexpensive water circulation device on the cooler.

Also is there any safety issues behind using saline water inside a glycol/water mixture?

2 Likes

what are you trying to accomplish?

I just looked at Penguin Chillers web site and their chillers look janky. Its one of those things where if someone went to home depot and built this in an afternoon with little to know knowledge, I would be impressed. But to design, build and market this… I don’t know what to think

Why do you want to use saline rather than glycol?

Yes we have multiple threads where folks are pumping dry ice ethanol slurry with a submersible pond pump. Glycol won’t get as cold, same pumps will work.

4 Likes

That’s what I wanted to know

cold yes.
freezing? maybe.
frozen? nope.

a 50/50 glycol mix should get you in the neighborhood of -35C before it starts getting slushy and hard to pump.

1 Like

So what if someone uses saline water and glycol?

You could mix your own if you want. Sometimes these are also commercially available.

Saline will bring the temp down a little bit before you get too slurry. The curve will be different than the one @cyclopath shared. If you go to his link, there is a calculation you can use to make your own table based on the Molarity of the saline solution you create and the % by volume of the Glycol solution.

There are other cooling mixtures out there. Dynalene has a good calculator also - if you want to fiddled with the numbers.

And I always thought saline was there to help with product stability as the temperature rises as well. And I thought I read somewhere that it may also help with heat transfer happening faster. But I cannot find that source now and I don’t have personal experience comparing different molarities either.

Good luck with your project. :smiley:

3 Likes

I was just brainstorming my guy I didn’t end up using either of those, been using 99% isopropyl alcohol for the slurry.

Sometimes its best to layout all the options on the table and pick the best tool for the job. Thanks

Huh?

I was pointing @GroovyOctopusLabs at (yet) another “glycol pump” discussion. Not commenting on anything you’d said or done.

Did you read what you responded to?

Ok,I get you were asking “what happens”…we both know the answer: “it works!”.

Which was my point…

1 Like