ILL NYE CBD-D8 Conversion Master SOP

I would only go as far down to 1kg runs, smaller than that you’ll have a harder time replicating the results once scaling back up. Can go smaller of course be be sure to properly account for all variables of weight, volume & of course post process.

Ok cool deal, im excited to start making d8 soon.

1 Like

What kind of “reactor” are you using? Looking to see if my current glassware situation will suffice!

Also, has anyone tried hexane as opposed to heptane?

Most glass reactors will be sufficient. I don’t want to say either yes or no because safety is an important topic. Which one should always contact the supplier of the equipment for detailed specifications and limitations. Definitely be sure the motor on the reactor’s stirring mechanism is an explosion proof/UL listed item and you “should” be fine.

Hexane absolutely works for this reaction. Different parameters, temperatures, and reflux times of course.

:call_me_hand:t4::call_me_hand:t4:

2 Likes

How does NaCl impact the pH of a solution?

It helps nutralize your solution after ph washing, typically stays around 7-7.5 ph for brine. Then proceed with additional 7ph distilled water wash ensure the water going into wash comes out same ph after agitation & seperation times.

Also welcome to the community!

4 Likes

NaCl role is to increase water salinity. This reduces the occurrence of an emulsion, and attracts more water by osmosis.

9 Likes

This also increases density of aqueous phase, thus making separation of the two liquid phases easier.

7 Likes

Annnddd…

It also increases the polarity of the water, causing reduced solubility of the organic solvents/solutes in the aqueous layer. Some salts are better than others for this (epsom salt is my preferred)

14 Likes

Will a stainless steel reactor suffice or do you need a glass reactor? I know sulfuric acid can degrade SS will ptsa do the same?

1 Like

Stainless is ok

1 Like

So what @iLLnyeTheShatterGuy said is wrong? I can find no reference anywhere that NaCl changes the pH of a solution.

It has a ph of 7 so if you add it to a solution with a higher or lower ph it will adjust it accordingly.

1 Like

The pH of a solution is due to the water and any base/acid one eventually dissolves here. NaCl is a neutral salt, is has not any of these properties.

I have been looking at some things being better in an N2 atmosphere. Has anyone had issues with reactions with air?

Atmosphere & the solution attracts the atmosphere & you end up with oxidization & moisture content you didn’t want.

1 Like

Sure thing. I just wanted to make sure I am not going to have some insane volatile byproduct.

The exothermic reaction will cause a little volatile movement also while under Rpms. You should never have any reaction in open air atmosphere.

I have hoods and what not. I am assuming most people here don’t have the ability to create a perfect controlled atmosphere? I am trying to see what equipment I need/ mods that will be necessary for this kind of thing.

Will anyone post pictures of your set up? No worries if not!

1 Like