ILL NYE CBD-D8 Conversion Master SOP

Atmosphere & the solution attracts the atmosphere & you end up with oxidization & moisture content you didn’t want.

1 Like

Sure thing. I just wanted to make sure I am not going to have some insane volatile byproduct.

The exothermic reaction will cause a little volatile movement also while under Rpms. You should never have any reaction in open air atmosphere.

I have hoods and what not. I am assuming most people here don’t have the ability to create a perfect controlled atmosphere? I am trying to see what equipment I need/ mods that will be necessary for this kind of thing.

Will anyone post pictures of your set up? No worries if not!

1 Like

https://future4200.com/t/thank-me-later-8thc-via-ptsa/128406?u=cheebachiefextracts

There’s a lot of informative info within this thread as well. Not each setup will be the same. Some reactors have different lid applications & joints. If you’d like help on your setup I’d start with a photo of what you may be working with & many folks here can help you from there.

3 Likes

Right on! Thank you.

1 Like

I see that your SOP mentions spd glassware. I have that well covered. We have a huge reactor so I am trying to see if my current small spd glassware will work for R&D. Have you every had worries with the simple glassware? I see some people saying that “explosion proof” reactors are needed. I am just trying to develop a proof of concept.

I love u, but this is false.

Don’t subject stainless to pTSA, citric acid, HCl or strongish bases. It will corrode and eventually crack.

I can provide more info on that if requested.

8 Likes

Even at a 1.5% concentration ?

6 Likes

I’ll take that info please it’d be nice to have as a reference

3 Likes

It mentions both spd & reactors, there’s a detailed description below for preparation work.

Technically here, it is event not at 1.5% concentration, since it does not dissolve in the hydrocarbon…
But if you have a few water in there, then you have some strong acid concentrated in certains spots. For sure steel will not like this. Unless it is a very short contact, and followed by extensive cleaning.

4 Likes

This is for pTSA @ 70% concentration. 70% concentration @ 45C had around 50um per year in corrosion.

70% concentration @ 90C had a corrosion rating of > 1mm per year.

Probably very minimal at low concentrations @Roguelab, but why risk it? Also if you want to use strong acids like HCl and H2SO4 you won’t be able to.

7 Likes

So @iLLnyeTheShatterGuy and @DUMPSTERFIREOG are wrong yes?

I’m not wrong and a cursory google search will show that. What he said literally confirms what I said. Not sure what you’re getting at here.

I think you may be getting neutral substances confused with buffers. A buffer will hold the pH at a specific level while the neutral salt (NaCl) shouldn’t have an effect on pH to my knowledge.

The reason being that HCl and NaOH are such strong acid/base that they will almost never take up either OH- or H+ from solution, making the buffering capacity of salt (NaCl) zero.

1 Like

So if the ph is 5 adding a neutral salt won’t change that ph?

Let me backup from the terminology “a neutral salt”. That’s probably going to include some salts that do have buffering capacity.

Sorry about that, I mean that specifically NaCl doesn’t have the ability to buffer acids/bases

3 Likes

It won’t change it. It that situation “neutral” means that the salt has no acid/base properties. It does not mean that it promotes a neutral pH. The water serving as solvent is the agent in this case. Actually here it is not its acid/base properties which are employed, but rather that it dissolves ptsa, and thus allo to recover it from te heptane/product mixture (and further turns acid as long as ptsa comes in).

The salt can however have a small indirect effect on the pH, since the pKa if the other acid present can be influenced by the ionic strenght (the total solute concentration in solutoon including background salts).

3 Likes