If you were new to extraction what tips would you appreciate?

If you were new to cannabis and hemp extraction, what would be some tips that would be very helpful?

I have seen the tips and tricks thread, looking for great advice for the newly initiated.

Thanks

5 Likes

Safety stuff

C1D1 and CID2 enclosures
Static electricity discharge
Proper attire and PPE

16 Likes

yes to the above.

also, cleanliness and organization is paramount.

also, data, data, data. track every weight, every extraction time, every yield stage to stage. analyze and use to tweak and dial in your processes.

use the search bar on this site and follow as many rabbit holes as you can

14 Likes

I’m not saying you need to go work for some high dollar/corporate outfit. But, put yourself in an environment where there are people who are better/smarter than yourself. Put yourself in an environment where you will have the volume to get repetitions. Make sure that where you learn has the minimum of safety standards. What you learn at first will stick with you. Learn good safety and fundamentals, and you will have them for life.

Skip right over open blasting.

You need a certain level of equipment, knowledge, access to material, and repetitions to get good. I am sure there are way more bottom dollar, small scale home setups gathering dust than there are good extractors in the country. Why? Because most people don’t have the constellation of resources and personal effort to get good.

As with any craft, a mentor can save you years. As with any dangerous craft, a mentor can save your life.

Evaluate your mentor. Are they safe, experienced, skilled?

12 Likes

know it’s a hard question but if you had to pinpoint the most important metric to track for solventless – what do you think it is? Also do you think more impact is made on final output during washing, freeze drying, or pressing?

2 Likes

Welcome to the future @addictedtohash!

2 Likes

Seeing as I am not a solvent less maker, I would say all of the above
If someone washes rough and gets shitloads of contaminants in there, it is worse
If someone doesn’t freeze dry correcty(I’ve never done it just been at my friends house) then it isn’t the best it can be, and if someone squishes too hot it will fuck it up
Growing is also hella important

1 Like

can’t say i’ve ever done solventless but I think @_joe put it well.

to restate and elaborate what he said, tracking time and strength of agitation on washes (for example) allows you to dial in to exactly the right amount of time to get what you want, but without contaminants; that way you don’t underextract and leave product ‘on the table’, and don’t ruin batches by going overboard. if you get a bad batch, and it’s due to rough handling or whatever, you’ll have a record that will show you were the batch went wrong, and can use that info to address the problem with the process and/or operator.
but yeah since i’ve never done solventless i can only speculate using what i know of the process. whenever i start into a new process, usually i start with collecting ALL info that could possible be relevant, then as i move into a better understanding, pare down to only the most important ones.

grid sheets with timestamped entries collecting all parameters and timeframes for every step are so, so powerful

Don’t be a Lance Armstrong: two nuts or bust.

One preferably brass. Second nut prevents single point of failure.