If you could do it again? Looking for help choosing a certified closed loop on a budget

Hi everyone. been reading on here for a few months, first time posting. im in Oklahoma about to set up a tiny licensed bho/pho extraction lab. Im familiar with passive extraction. ive been using a couple 1/2 lb tamisiums for a few years. they are notoriously slow and unproductive and i cant get them certified so i need to up grade. i want to keep it as cheap as possible so im trying to avoid chillers and just use dry ice. im looking at ets, mk v, terpanator, bhogart, apollo, summit, and every one else i can find. The prices are either really high or pretty low. ets 1300 is crazy expensive like a new small car and i just dont understand why or how that is. other systems seem to have way too much extra shit i dont think i need but im not sure. for instance would i need to worry about a jacketed column and dewaxing chamber if im running super cold solvent cooled via dry ice and heat exchanger coil?
I suppose thats just the long way of saying im pretty inexperienced here, i dont want to make the wrong decisions on equipment, and id like to learn from your experience.

my plan is to get a closed loop extractor with 2.5 lb capacity, cps trs21 recovery pump, heat exchanger coil, and use dry ice to run sub zero solvent. what am i missing?

on the post recovery side ive already got an AI 1.9 and small vac pump. im thinking about upgrading to a agilent idp3 for the purging.

How would you pull this off if you only had around $12,000? it looks like i have some options, i just have no idea the consequences of going cheap. the high end was looking like $25k. thats crazy expensive for a tube and some accessories lol. or maybe not. Chinese vs American steel seemed to make a big difference in price but i have no idea if stainless from the US is superior or not. thanks for taking the time. looking forward to hearing form yall.

1 Like

You dont need an agilent in your budget. Butane isnt hard to purge from a pure product.

2 Likes

right on. we were worried about potential contamination from the oil. just a safety measure.

2.5lb-10lb is a very large difference in capacity. How many grams (or kg) of extract are you looking to produce a week?

How familiar are you with butane extractions?

1 Like

pretty familiar. ive been running passive for a while. 2.5 to 10 only because the price only seems to be the difference of few hundred to $1000. the upgrade seems reasonable but when i think about it i wouldn’t have the vac space to even use a 10 lb. 2.5 would probs be my best option

as far as how much per week im just limited by my 1.9 cuft vac oven. im looking at different purging techniques and trying to be done purging in 8 to 12 hours. so hopefully enough to fill that oven daily.

What are you’re trying to produce? You need to do some extensive research. Every day keep overloading yourself on info. 12k can get you pumping like a mad man but that depends on your regulations. Oh by a mad man extracting but getting bottlenecked before the vac oven is a different story :slight_smile:

3 Likes

we have the opportunity to run a butt load of trim from a greenhouse grower we know. we are just going to shatter that material. in the future we would like to up our game and grow our own supply to run whole plant live runs to sauce and diamond. we would also run other peoples dry cured material but we dont think running live for splits makes sense in our market.

Our regulations are pretty lacks. ive got my processing license already. i just need equipment that can be certified by an engineer. looks like there are a few options. im waiting on emails from all the manufactures i hit up yesterday. im looking to move fast. i appreciate all your guys’ advice

1 Like

I have some clients out in Shawnee, OK that have a used ETS 1300 and a haskell they may let go for a discount. It may even include all the heaters and ancillary needed. And I believe they have a crc setup on it already, as well.

They are running a large bizzybee now and probably have zero use for the ets.

That’s if you want propane.

You can get something faaar cheaper if you don’t want to run propane.

2 Likes

id be down to speak to them. im in norman so only 45 minutes away. im waiting for a response from all the machine manufacturers but im pretty sure most of them were rated for pho as well. id certainly want to maintain that option.

Just gonna say, open source steel has certifiable extractors, and they also come in compression model for running high psi solvents or nitrogen.
A certified engineer has to assemble and sign off on it for it to be certified
Their Adams holds 2-2.5 pounds plus equal volume in the dewax chamber…the raineer double that.
I have reconfigured mine

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ve emailed them too. I’m trying to figure out if a dewaxing column is necessary if I’m running sub zero solvent cooled with dry ice? My “plan” is to flood the column with super cold butane/propane to freeze the contents then open the valves while continuing to top feed sub zero solvent. I was thinking that method wouldn’t pull fats and waxes in the first place due to the super cold run. Would that not be accurate to assume?

1 Like

That’s how I’m gonna do it.

I can get you a certified extractor at that price DM me

3 Likes

Off my kool-aid! Hahah.

1 Like

highly considering the “Compression St. Helens 2.5lb Extractor. Pre-approved for Certification”. thanks for the recommendation.

I’d say you’re being pretty optimistic about getting butane off in 8-12 hours. Unless youre just going to be whipping everything or purging above 110F. If you’re planning on shatter/sugar/sauce/diamonds I can all but guarantee you won’t be able to properly purge in that time frame.

2 Likes

Open source is great entry level stuff. You’ll be tinkering with it a lot to get it working properly, but they are great starting points.

I would get 2 coils, one for injection and one for after you trs21. You can use the coil to cool solvent, instead of cooling your tank. Works WAY better.

With that size machine, a pump might not even be necessary. …

4 Likes

I second the OSS comment. You can get a decent setup for 10k that is certified. Keep in kind your going to need an engineer to do a on site inspection and final sign off.

2 Likes

No matter the system, half of your budget is going to be used on certifications. I can get you one of our Xtractor Depot pathfinder 3lb stand alones. They run a little under $8k full turnkey with a trs-21 but would need an injection coil upgrade if you wanted to run cold. I could get that peer reviewed and certified, right around your budget. Give me a DM or call me (909)222-8565 I’ll tell you everything you need to know about one of these.

Looking at around $13,000 for everything with the certification, I might be able to help you out too, just give me a call.

3 Likes