If I Decarb under Vacuum, would I avoid Oxidation?

Haha… my current setup is not a setup. Heating plate and non-stick container. It takes me a long time to decarb because I step the heat up gradually looking for the lightest decarb possible. It gets the oil flowy enough with the extra terpenes added so I don’t move past that point. I don’t feel it needs full decarb anyway - I’ve been pulling mine away before waiting for that last set of bubbles to pop. You get to retain some natural terpenes in it that way or so I believe based on what my senses tell me, which can be wrong. I mean, you retain what you retain - the process itself is a terpene destroyer so it’s not a dramatic effect, it just ensures the oil won’t taste like burnt arse hairs.

I’m not a Science person. I’m not really part of that world. But I always did wonder what would happen if I were to burn off the Oxygen in a closed container with a flame to void the container of oxygen, then proceeded to lightly decarb.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to do things in the most backyard way possible.

1 Like

My favorite game is “how do I make something really good with very little?”. My first question is can you get access to some sort of inert gas? Argon or CO2 welding gas? N2 for beer kegs? Its the first step above just roasting the stuff on a stove.

If not you might look into all the diamond tek to separate the THCa which is fairly backyard friendly (although most would cringe at turning diamonds back into “hot dog water”

Also, if you add extra terps, definitely do that after the oil cools from decarb

1 Like

I am sure I can get access to those gasses - they shouldn’t be difficult to obtain. I also have a stainless steel vacuum chamber with gauge on the lid.

I would prefer decarbing with an inert Gas than going Diamonds. Going the Diamond route then decarbing the THCa while isolated seems to me like it would work but I would be killing Diamonds and extending the time needed to an amount I would consider unrealistic turnaround for this kind of product.

Shit I’d dab the diamonds before I had a chance to even look at the vac chamber.

1 Like