Identification of weird crystalline looking residue in wiped film distillation system.

Hi all. I wanted to open up a discussion on this residue that I have been seeing in wiped film distillation units recently. It seems to mostly show up on the glass leading up to the cold trap. We got a few theories running around the shop that range from lipids to vacuum grease. Has anyone seen this before/got an idea?

1 Like

Are you running cbd?

0 Likes

Yes, I’ve seen this very often. I believe it is a substance formed from terpenes dissolving lighter fractions of vacuum grease and leaving the heavier parts behind. I never conclusively proved it though.

2 Likes

We have done a few CBD dominant runs but 95% of what we run is THC only.

0 Likes

I do feel like I can see remnants of vacuum grease in it, both in its consistency and color.

1 Like

I get bits of it pretty regularly, zero chance that it is vacuum grease in my case.

2 Likes

It looks exactly like what was forming in my latest batch of methanol winterized ethanol crude. Had these weird little sugar/fat things popping up everywhere

1 Like

Falling film crystalization?

2 Likes

I was thinking maybe it could be CBD, the only time I’ve gotten this was when I ran some cbd with a little bit of residual methanol in there. Only one time I’ve had this happen to me

1 Like

I think it’s definitely a methanol thing. I’ve noticed it on my last two methanol winterized batches and never seen it before with ethanol winterizing. Not sure if it means the methanol does a better or worse job? It spits it out as it concentrates. I’m doing 5:1 meth to oleo, maybe need to bring it down to 4:1 or 3:1?

You can see along the walls in the below pic the same looking residue on there.

0 Likes

We don’t use methanol in any of our processes. Cryo extraction using denatured ethanol.

1 Like

Yes, I never used methanol either. That doesn’t have anything to do with it.

0 Likes