Ideal PreRoll pack packaging?

Considering adding a pack of 3 or 5 pre rolls to my current product line. (Hemp)

Wondering what the pros and cons are of different packaging options. I currently use sana packaging hemp plastic pre roll tubes for my singles and totally love them.

Stores really don’t seem to care too much about anything but the price point these days though unfortunately, especially when it comes to pre rolls. so I am considering a low cost pre roll pack for some of my current cheapo clients.

1. Tins (probably the most expensive option)
    Protects the product from light and being damaged.

2. Cardboard pack (second most expensive)
    Protects product from light, and from being damaged for the most part

3. Small bag/pouch with clear window front
    (Cheapest option) does not protect from light, or protect from being damaged but can be sealed to preserve freshness.

Anybody with any thoughts on packaging options that I did not mention feel free to leave your opinion, or pros and cons I.E. shelf life, aesthetics, etc.

Or if you have a good source for pre roll pack packaging a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

If they want price point and trim joints then go with the cheapest packaging

If they want pre rolls from smokeable hemp flower, use the tins…

I do want the customers returning so I’d avoid trim especially with hemp flower being fairly inexpensive.

The stores will always compare price points of my flower pre rolls side by side with trim/biomass/floor scraps pre rolls though unfortunately as if they were the same thing.

2 Likes

Check out https://printedonhemp.com/, (I think) they work with Sana and have good options. Not the cheapest, but definitely cheap enough to put out a low priced product with the added sustainability value add.

What tins are you considering? I’ve seen those vary widely in quality/price.

2 Likes

You know there are larger plastic tubes, right? These guys have several options.

1 Like

I can fit two joints in a blunt tube.

I like mini-joints in a small tin.

2 Likes

I use them for my biz cards, good company. Considering these

But unsure on exact dimensions of the half gram joints as I’m used to king sized cones.

Forgot to mention looking for sustainable packaging “eco friendly” ish only too. Plastic would be bioplastic

@blackie those minis are a great idea.
Was at a rec shop in LA last week and my lady only wanted a few mini joints instead of an 1/8 since we were out and about.
I think it was $15 for 3 little joints or something like that.

1 Like

Hey - so I can give you a quick overview of the pros and cons of some of the pre-roll packaging options that I personally know about:

I’ll start with the cheapest options for pre-roll multipacks. The cheapest options for pre-roll packaging are mostly going to be made out of plastic.

As mentioned by another commenter there is the wide and the extra wide pre-roll tubes. You can fit either 3 or 5 98 or 109mm pre-rolls in there. You could put 84mm cones in there as well but it will have a lot of space on the top since the tube is 114mm tall. The tube will keep the product fresh, its relatively easy to label (we can also do the label application for you) and it is cheap. It comes in white or black - so it will protect the product from light and the plastic is sturdy so will protect any product inside.

Then you have something like the slider box - this is a 5-7 pack pre-roll option. It is child resistant and has a little mechanism on the side in order to open the box. It is also relatively cheap when you consider the cost per pre-roll that fits inside. You can either label it or you can get a paper sleeve for it . There is also the option of getting pre-roll inserts to secure your pre-rolls and make them a little neater. It will keep the product somewhat fresh, and protect from light and damage. This could be sealed with either a heat shrink (plastic bag that you heat seal and then shrink with heat) or an overwrap (like the plastic wrap on cigarette boxes).

https://customconesusa.com/pre-roll-packaging/slider-box/

Alternatively there is the snap pack which is a cigarette style box made from plastic. It fits up to 10 84mm cones. It only comes in the 84mm height for now. Keeps the product safe, has a secure close and will keep product safe from light.

For paper based options you could go down a few different paths:

There is the push pack / pull pack - these are boxes with a hard outer shell and tray inside the shell. You can have it with or without the child resistant feature. The nice thing about this box is you can have dividers inside the box with full custom printing. And you can heat shrink or overwrap for an extra layer of freshness if you like.

Then there is also the cigarette boxes. These are made from a cardstock paper - so less rigid than the push pack or pull pack. But at the same time will be much cheaper. They cigarette boxes aren’t air-tight at all so if you care about keeping the pre-rolls very fresh you will want to heat shrink or overwrap.

Although the paper options can be more expensive when you consider that the paper packaging options come with full custom printing - meaning you don’t have to any or very little labeling. Just put the product in, seal it and sell it. Compared to the stock packaging - like the plastic tubes where you still have the additional cost of the label as well as having to label the tubes.

You could also do something like a glass jar multi-pack if you did want to do something a little nicer but that wouldn’t be a cheaper option for sure.

Give us a call, we can send you samples of all the different packaging options so you can see them for yourself and decide what you like.

4 Likes