Idaho State Police STEAL 6,701 lbs of hemp

In January 2019 the Idaho State Police in Ada County confiscated a shipment of 6,701 pounds of industrial hemp belonging to Big Sky Scientific, touting it as the biggest marijuana bust in the state’s history. The truck driver was arrested at the scene. Palamarchuk was the third out-of-state trucker arrested in less than a year’s span for transporting hemp through Idaho.

The hemp in question, which passed tests to be considered hemp under federal law, was still a controlled substance under Idaho law.

Thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill, under federal law, hemp is legal for interstate transport provided it meets certain requirements. Any substance containing any THC at all, however, is considered marijuana and illegal in Idaho.

Even after Palamarchuk’s criminal case was closed, the Idaho State Police did not return the hemp, which later tested at or below the federal THC requirement for industrial hemp.

In February, Big Sky Scientific sued the state police in an attempt to regain the shipment, and the two entities have been locked in a legal battle ever since.

Fourth District Judge Jonathan Medema issued that judgment Jan. 21 in favor of the Idaho State Police, and the Idaho Police will now legally own all 6,701 pounds of hemp.

How do you feel about this “legaized” robbery of hemp executed by state officials with badges, guns, and a gavel?

2 Likes

The feds will have to sue Idaho, saying their law interferes with interstate commerce. Essentially the other side of the coin that allows the feds to restrict legal marijuana activity within a state because the actions affect interstate commerce , allows the federal government to strike down state laws that affect interstate commerce.

1 Like

It’s definitely an injustice. Since federal law supersedes state law, I would think that Idaho would have to return it. They should appeal.

2 Likes

civil asset forfeiture

Government has been doing this shit for a long time.

3 Likes

They didn’t just lose, they lost a motion for summary judgment, meaning the judge ended their case before it could begin, because in his opinion it had no reasonable chance of success.

1 Like

The government is the worse crooks of all.

3 Likes

I know that Idaho allows it now, but we still avoid Idaho all together.

They state that you must stop at certain inspection points, they will take a sample and test, then after testing they will let you go (if you pass their test). Who knows how long that test will take, knowing Idaho.

Sounds like a way to hold us up for a few days or a week.

2 Likes

Wonder what they’re going to do with it. I know a lot of cops are “on the take” but that’s not going to be too useful with industrial hemp

1 Like

It was probably extracted to CBD oil a long time ago and the earnings distributed amongst the officers involved, the judge, and prosecuting attorney. The remaining balance was donated to the local Masonic Lodge.

1 Like

Preface this with, I have never met a Mormon I didn’t like. But with more per capita than any other state, it’s an uphill battle.