Ice Tek Chiller info

@Farmlife How are you liking the ice tek chilling system ?

heat in heat out
i find this a great thumb rule
my recovery by corken is 8.5kw my cooling active needed is 6kw

1 Like

Never worked for us. It’s used has a support mount now :frowning:

2 Likes

No, it fucking doesn’t!

Based on pressure readings (yep, no thermosensors provided) from the solvent tank, it is achieving maybe -20C with zero process load. Operator reports it doesn’t ice over when they’re running their system, suggesting it doesn’t even get to 0C when it has a load on it.

From what I saw yesterday, that -20C actually degrades with time rather than getting better (it was colder at the 1hr mark than the 2hr mark).

who sells a chiller without a temp sensor? I’d say only folks who don’t want their customers to know it doesn’t work worth a damn.

it does make a lovely snowball in the C1D1 space…but the pumps (liquid and vapor) make it too noisy to enjoy.

It’s not my install/purchase, I’m just here to do a little hand holding and process optimization…now that I know there are two sizes, I’ll check which one I’m dealing with.

my first response is to insulate it appropriately, the next is to place thermocouples strategically around the system. the reading I’ve done on the MVP suggests that it doesn’t like back pressure…so I’m not sure how these guys have been recovering propane into a 0C solvent tank.

9 Likes

If the heat exchangers aren’t cold, that’s definitely not right. If it gets warmer as it runs, it probably leaks. We had a leaky sight glass on the Iced Tech that has been replaced with a solid tube. Also - don’t fill refrigerant from the expansion valves at the heat exchangers. MVP is the only source in the world I can find that backs this practice… And they don’t even know why. They say “you can’t overload the system.” Yes you can.

Private message sent with details about the system I run - feel free to share bits and pieces you find relevant to your post.

We scrapped the MVP vapor pumps for a Corken compressor.

5 Likes

bummer. Iced tech is the BHOGart joke version of what is now Perma Cool just like MVP is the BHOgart joke version of a quality Grenco paint pump. I mean recovery pump. If you want a quality long lasting system that works, spend the money on the one designed by HVAC engineers with all safety sensors and failsafes in place designed with a slick touch screen interface that shows you system parameters.

Not the one from the guys who ripped off the design of the original direct refrigeration guys, ripped out the smarts of the compressors so they just run at full bore all the time (not designed for 100% duty cycle) now your slightly cheaper gear often fails prematurely. Idk what kind of cool controls the Iced tech has now.

5 Likes

Looks like I’m dealing with the smaller unit, it is definitely undersized for the task.
Their lead extractor is a trained HVAC tech, and the owner has worked with a tamisium for several years. They have a better chance than most of working their way out of this hole.

Thank you! I’ll pass that along, or not, they’re both on here I believe :wink:

The current ice tek implementation does not seem to include anything in the way of “cool controls”, or much at all in the way of controls. certainly little in the way of safeties. It has apparently been throwing a P1 (over pressure?) error, which the operator has been told to ignore…

3 Likes

That’s exactly what killed two of our compressors…if you fill both the heat exchangers and compressor 100%. . . .they leave no room for expansion, so the cooling effect is not there. The compressor should cycle a few times on startup, bringing the pressure lower as it cycles each time.

The first time I saw it run, the pressure spiked to 500 psi in a few seconds before the limit switch actually did anything. Thankfully the heat exchangers are actually rated for 500 psi…

The model I’ve used has some ability to change settings like cut-in and cut-out pressures. . . It would trip somewhere around 100-110 psi usually. The few times the expansion actually worked (when we made our HVAC tech recover some of the refrigerant) the startup cycle was enough to bring the pressure down to 50-80 psi, and within 15-20 minutes down to 12 psi.

3 Likes

JFC what a bunch of hack jobs.

I’m sorry @hambread but thanks for confirming everything I’ve heard about Iced Tech from two other customers without as much knowledge of “why” shit kept breaking and underperforming.

I’m on site for an installation in the Bay Area. We begin today and the game plan is to do it right the first time with a completely custom 10 column small batch machine (150lbs solvent capacity) with a dual Permacool setup; ethanol on the column jackets, solvent tank, and maybe preinjection? (Idk Exact details,I haven’t met Permacools engineer yet but we’ll be on site at 10 to find out.

Oh yeah the POWWER: direct refrigeration for the post pump and passive mode condensing and chilling.

Tune in to my Instagram to learn along with me today @samuraisam33

2 Likes

We have someone new taking over the Iced Tech repair - I’m quite confident in his ability to get it running consistently - if all goes well, more details to come.

1 Like

Sounds good good luck and let me know if you would like to talk to the guys that created the concept before bhogart halfass copied it, sounds like they’ve fixed a few “iced tech”s

1 Like

I’d love to hear their take on it!

1 Like

Call these guys. perma.cool 747.208.1001

As far as the installation. The solvent tank scale promised for delivery yesterday morning still hasn’t shown up so I can’t charge its batteries fully, assemble the scale’s feet, place and level it, let it hang out and get comfy, and then load it by placing the solvent tank on it.

And the air compressor plumbing scheduled for delivery the day I showed up, didn’t arrive until yesterday afternoon, so Frosty’s younger brother and I spent the afternoon roughing in the French made Infinity air piping, and fitting pipe suspended about 2 1/2 feet above a 20’ drop ceiling over their water hash lab, and today penetrating the C1D1 enclosure, to find we are about 18" short on a 16’ length of pipe. And we have more pipe, but they’d estimated one union and ordered three, and estimated three elbows and ordered five; and received one union and two elbows or something dumb. So we’ll see if it’s possible to source the fittings locally (probably not ).

I spent three hours chasing down stainless power strut / unistrut/ any shallow strut that I can put in the extraction room and two places that said they hadn’t didn’t have it so we’re fucked there.

And we put together a parts take off for Permacool yesterday after suppliers wer closed and we’ll see what other fun’s in store for Monday after the Parker hose store!

But for real, I love these big projects, stoked to get to work with some great people and make a clean, safe, functional solvent hash lab come to life!

I’ll share permacool updates here, its all on their instagram and Frosty’s

5 Likes

Expansion side is now getting down to around 4PSI on this unit I believe.

2 Likes

So I’ve been working with iced tech since the first iteration. This was made by the permacool guys. Install was a joke safeties disconnected from the compressor controls, heat exchanger was not properly set up. Basically got super ripped off for a POS that didn’t do what it claimed, with no warranty or guarantees.

Now Bhogart has taken over and is doing “better” I’m still using it but have blown out 2 compressors so far.
New model uses tube in shell. Far more effective but needs to be oversized. I think I understand the dynamics of it better than the techs over there.
Basically it’s a Copeland scroll 3 phase AC compressor skid with liquid cool injection(value4-4.5k), plus a 50 ton (I believe) tube in shell heat exchanger (value 1400$). So the system is overpriced and they never give you specs or filling parameters. For that price (15k at least) it should come with thermocouple and solenoid valves. They didn’t even spring for the digitally controlled compressor that would have cost only aroun 1-1,5k more and would have had way better control features.

It works for my application and I am making very high quality extracts, but I use 2 compressors with tube in shell for recovery and one compressor with brazed plate for liquid injection.

Injection holds at around 6-9psi On the compressor which is I believe is around -20F
With 2 compressors for recovery on 2 6cfm mvps I see 6-14 psi which is around -20 to -10 (I’m
Double checking my temp/pressure Chart and will update with more accurate temp ranges)

I’m getting 2#/minute fairly solid Recovery speeds.

DO NOT GET THE SINGLE PHASE. Tried it. It sucks.

3 Likes

@farmlife do you still have the ice tech

1 Like

i smiled like a mad man at the perma-cool systems

Yes, we are selling it.

Where r u located and how much do u want for it

Dm me your number