ICE in BHO open blast

New port cans
Usually I freeze everything but it makes no difference.

:muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:

Thank you I appreciate your time.

This is what I thought was happening.
I’ll just keep doing secondary single solvent dewax for now. Until I can one day be one of the big boys with a CLS!
in New Zealand it’s hard to get a CLS, not impossible but very expensive and big risk to lose if you get caught.
SO I get that CLS is far superior and safe… And appreciate you still taking the time to answer me without being a tool lol

2 Likes

I can ship brewing equipment to NZ no problem.

Dm me and lets get you set up

3 Likes

how are you currently achieving this?!?

get?

Build!! (mostly assemble).

If you source locally you’ll probably need some sanitary welding done. the dairy/beer guys understand “sanitary” the still makers seem to think liquor solves the problem (based on the welds I’ve seen). deciding between local fabrication and import of the bits you can’t purchase locally is probably about the skill-set of your sanitary welder, and how hard you think customs is looking at individual packages of incoming stainless.

indeed…and there are some very specific brewing accessories that OP might should source that way. just not a CLS in a kit.

godzone has brew stores…but more importantly, they also have more diary cows than they have humans (8 vs 5million).

we borrowed tri-clamp from the dairy industry I believe…so many of the required parts might already be out in the milk shed…or at least close by

edit: is ethanol extraction any more legal than butane? “legal” AND safer are the usual buttons I try pushing to get folks from open blasting at home to using ethanol. In your case I’m gonna try a different approach. you can actually extract in a CLS with an array of different solvents. pretty sure precision came out with their X10 after I told Nick this trick.

5 Likes

This guy… Skip to minute 28 to hear about single solvent secondary dewax. He recommends it even if you use a CLS with dewaxing column.

My knowledge to be able to build or assemble a CLS is limited, I could perhaps achieve it if I had schematics or someone to help me.

Ethanol isn’t really a road I want to head down.

1 Like

It looks like you are running dried flower going for a cake batter finish, based on the vid that you posted. Get your setup colder. Not just to mitigate the ice, but also for a finer end product. I’m not trying to sell you anything, but a lot of us are constantly buying lab crap. Consider a cryo, a cryo can go a long way for a reasonable upfront cost upfront and low daily cost. The rest of the guys here are right, but on the way to your cls, you will still be piecing together your lab. Take temps and record along the way.

2 Likes

It’s all triclamp parts, gaskets and clamps.

some sites like bvv will give you a full run down of parts.

A lot of people for hobby and home use go through @Killa12345 because he he has quality extraction units for value prices

but you can also go through Alibaba or a different Chinese supplier for cheaper triclamp parts.

bluemonster yellow tape is better for butane, propane and isobutane.

lol the open blast link I have on my bookmark bar is a column on a stand that I have ideas for a 2 stage close loop for 2 stage dewaxing. I have 0% aspirations of going back to open blast

1 Like

Gosh… from asking for ideas to instant attack in 0.003 seconds.

I don’t personally know of anyone that went down to the “extraction store” to purchase a CLS.

You must have internet way out there in the wilderness or you wouldn’t have access to this forum. Pretty certain you have delivery services also… like UPS maybe??

One of these wee 4oz close loop systems might do the trick and there would for sure be a lot of information available on this site to learn how to operate…

5 Likes

If you’re in NZ, reach out to @biotek_engineering. That’s his IG handle, but he has an account on here, too. He is a fabricator and can probably help you source parts if needed.

@BIOTEK-NZ is his handle on here

7 Likes

Figured as much. Jars of solvent in the freezer and open filtration. Both things you’d be safer not performing that way.

Doesn’t look like he has analytics in house, and I’m betting he’s never sent those “waxes” out for testing.

He might not be crashing out thca along with his fats/waxes, but I can almost guarantee that some of the folks following at home are.

1 Like

if you’re going to open blast you shouldnt expect to be able to do the exact same procedures as a CLS IMO, maybe an expert can but not a novice.

just blast into a warm water bath and evaporate slowly using warm water or a heating pad.

no need to over-complicate things…

So you’re saying it’s possible to crash out THCa in the freezer while the solids separate?
Interesting. He makes some amazing concentrates that guy, if you watch some of his videos you’ll see.
I’ve followed his process to make sugar and it worked perfectly.
I see how this forum can quickly turn in to something different to original questions lol
It’s a bit of a bully brigade.

Some cool dudes who just want to help, then there’s some who aren’t.

Thanks for your time.

1 Like

I just don’t like passive aggressive statements. It’s something humans learned how to do at school when you felt like another kid was bigger or stronger or smarter than you .
Similar to the way a gorilla beats it’s chest.

Any way. Thanks for your help.

Not jumping in the ring, but one of the most heated debates you can have in cannabis extraction is about open blasting. It is very unsafe and environmentally unfriendly, and illegal almost everywhere. That is a major reason why you have been met with hostility. Another reason is that on forums like this you’re expected to have some basic knowledge or at least the courtesy not to ask simple questions that have been answered so many times over the years, like what components are in a CLS. This is literally an archive of knowledge with a pretty good search function scripted in, please use it to your advantage. Sorry your approach to learning wasn’t as positive as you had hoped, but there’s still good info even in the hate.

4 Likes

I asked a simple question. Which turned in to an open blast vs cls weigh in.

But thanks for your input.

I had trouble finding the info I was looking for regarding moisture in BHO open blasting.

If you can find any information… Send me the link.

I didn’t expect my first post in this forum to be so hostile. The legalities of blasting is a moot point.

absolutely. lots of folks using a second solvent throwing huge amounts of THCa in the trash with their waxes.

see: Search results for 'cold crash' - Future4200 which will mostly be deliberately crashing cannabinoids rather than fats/waxes

1 Like

Thank you for that info! I had no idea that I could be crashing THCa while I’m trying to separate.
Damn, I already freeze my column and chill the tane. Even doing that, I still get a lot of “wax” separating when I put it in the freezer.

Looks like I won’t be doing that any more.

Question…

Does a CLS remove more fats and lipids simply because dry ice is utilized during the extraction?
The town I live in doesn’t have dry ice lol gotta ship in 5kg boxes.