I Need help with an FTIR

I have a PerkinElmer FT-IR spectrum 2 that I would like to set up. I’ve never run on before so any help would be greatly appreciated. All I’m trying to do with it at the moment is detect the presence of Delta 9 in my delta 8 distillate.

Has this been done before? I am just curious what difference you would be looking for. Does d8 produce a peak in the fingerprint region that isn’t present in the spectrum of d9?

To be honest with you I have no idea. I’ve never ran any testing equipment but I have this thing sitting here so I’d like to try and use it if I can.

1 Like

An IR is a great tool to have!
Here is a reference IR of d8:

Here is a reference IR of d9:

You could maybe identify d9 in the sample if you don’t see a single sharp peak around 1260cm-1.

This helps me a lot I appreciate this!
If I don’t see that peak in my sample I could make the assumption that it’s D9 free and send it of for proper testing To confirm? I’ll get this set up today and see what it does.

Yeah to really detect trace amounts of d9 or d8 in your product using ftir you first need to calibrate your library with know ratios. Even though you might not see that 1260 cm-1 absorption it can still be there, hidden within the more intense signals of d8.

How do I do that? Google search?

I’ll provide guidance but if you want a full tutorial you gotta pay consultant dollars. Not that I’m not willing to help, but my time is too valuable. Compiling a library is something you do in the software for the ftir equipment itself.

2 Likes

Let me see if I can fumble blindly through it first. Believe me I understand the value of time I’m the same way. I’ll check and see what the library is in it, it came from another hemp operation so maybe its ready to rock and roll already. I’ll see how well I can educate my self on Dr Google and YouTube but if I hit a wall I would have no problem paying a consulting fee.

Those damn things only work if they have been trained. Not happening.

1 Like

If thats the case, back to collecting dust it goes!

I could be wrong…

The perkin Elmer version might be field trainable…but that wasn’t the impression I got from the guys in the booth at mjbizcon (which was my only interaction with the device).

Big Sur charges ~$5k for a custom library, and might be able to get you there…Except you need great analytics on D8 to train it.

The Sage is just plain worthless when presented with anything new…and that experience might be clouding my judgement

1 Like

Imo buying a library won’t be an option what you want to do

1 Like

I thought this thing just spit out raw data based on the absorption of Infra red radiation then it was just a process of overlaying the graph with a standard. Keep in mind here I’ve never run any kind of analytical equipment so I understand this about as much as the inner workings of a black hole.

The PE device might.

The other two are black boxes that make predictions.

When I asked what the advantage of the PE device was, “we have more PhD’s working on the library” was the response. If they are field trainable, then neither of the techs I interacted with were aware of the utility of such functionality.

Given that I explicitly made the comparison to the Sage and Big Sur devices, and stated that they were essentially useless when faced with matrices they had not been trained on, “but our device is field trainable” would have been a selling point.

Ymmv

I guess I could always call PerkinElmer and find out.

Are the predictions made based off of the vibration of the molecule its looking at?

IR spectrometers are pretty straight forward. But identifying trace amounts of d9 in a d8 sample is going to be difficult if not impossible. Does this have an ATR accessory or will you have to make KBr pellets?

3 Likes

No idea. I’ll set it up today and see what all it has. I’ll call PerkinElmer as well and find out exactly what I have sitting here.

It’s this a computer tower and a screen.