I keep breaking Pyrex dishes in microwave

Because it is fast and effective. Been doing the same thing for almost two decades.

I don’t want to boil water and all that just to clean my rig in the morning.

There isn’t a scary change of super heating the iso the way I do it, because I don’t let the iso superheat, and if it does I wait a minute or two, until it is safe.

Pretty sure this was in the lab mistakes thread

I believe it was acetone left in a flask or jar and it ended up blowing the door off the microwave

I thought it was soxhlet who shared this glad I found the thread

4 Likes

I put my empty rig in a cold oven, heat to 200f, then rinse with isopropanol. Ezpz.

1 Like

To be fair, I used to do exactly that for cleaning my rigs. The explosion happened when microwaving a wash bottle half full of acetone. The microwave kinda turned me off after that one.

In this situation I think commercial high explosives would be safer, most are not very sensitive. They do this to increase the safety margin.

My two cents, the acetone went from no bubbles to gas faster than I could blink.By comparison it made ffff black powder seem slow.

4 Likes

How are you Soxhlet? Its been a while!!

I remember your story well! I always make sure there is some kind of contaminant in the alcohol the few times i have put 99% IPA in the microwave!

This dish breaking is caused by drying sieve beads in the microwave :wink: I think letting the dishes cool off in the hot microwave afterwards is the plan.

I have a junk microwave i cleaned out really well and let it overheat and shut down so i know they are dry. Ghetto, yes. Effective? Probably. Flawed? Maybe?

(Microwaves overheat the magnetron when they run out of water to heat, and they have a temperature cut off)

2 Likes

Yes it has, hope all is well. Dm me if you like!

2 Likes

use a vacuum oven instead

2 Likes