Hyundai Nexo - Hydrogen Cell SUV

Small molten salt reactors, hydrogen for airplanes and diesel replacement, electric for civilian transport. Standard nuclear fuel while thorium salt and other new nuclear tech develops.

I think recycling of battery material will advance to assist in the metals part of the equation.

All of this in addition to wind, solar, geothermal, and tidal/hydraulic power proliferation.

3 Likes

Greenland or Iceland, one of the two, has had a hydrogen highway for several years. I would build a hydrogen powered home, too.

Only problem is that it requires solar panels. If there were a way to use something that would would last longer, it would be ideal

2 Likes

I truly believe Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) are the best solution to the energy problem short of actual working fusion. MSRs are the tits, but no one wants to go against the status quo which is high pressure BWRs. The NRC is a fucking joke and probably has 1/10th of the power/ability that the AEC had back in the day. The DOE favors natural gas as that’s where the money is.

I would absolutely love to see thorium fuels pursued as it would pave the way for nuclear reprocessing. Ya know since all reactors have to store high level transuranics on site because yucca still isn’t online and will never be because of the NIMBYs. We manage to wring out 2% of the available energy out of a fuel rod bundle before it gets sent to the cooling ponds. 2 whole stinkin percent and the bundle is “trash”. If only we had reactors that could burn waste! (Lookin at you, Thorium)

5 Likes

Fusion will be the big ticket.

Otherwise electric from a mix of renewable sources. The big hitch is energy storage.

2 Likes

Running water and wind offer a few more options

4 Likes

How many automotive technicians are out there that can safely work on a hydrogen vehicle? That alone is gonna be a problem and cost some good money to be done right.

2 Likes

Assuming you would just have to go through the dealer for now…

But if they become more common my bet is that mechanics will offer service on them just like any other gas/diesel

2 Likes

Do either one of those help produce hydrogen like a solar panel is needed to produce hydrogen?

just need to hook up an alternator to generate power

I gotta Natural gas powered e250 cargo van a few months ago, made a google maps with all the stations havent looked back. avg 1.50 per gallon.

4 Likes

Renewable energy sources such as photovoltaics, wind, biomass, hydro, and geothermal can provide clean and sustainable electricity for our nation. However, renewable energy sources are naturally variable, requiring energy storage or a hybrid system to accommodate daily and seasonal changes.

The cleanest way to produce hydrogen is by using sunlight to directly split water into hydrogen and oxygen. Multijunction cell technology developed by the photovoltaic industry is being used for photoelectrochemical (PEC) light harvesting systems that generate sufficient voltage to split water and are stable in a water/electrolyte environment. The NREL-developed PEC system produces hydrogen from sunlight without the expense and complication of electrolyzers, at a solar-to-hydrogen conversion efficiency of 12.4% lower heating value using captured light. Research is underway to identify more efficient, lower cost materials and systems that are durable and stable against corrosion in an aqueous environment.

I should have emphasized that’s also as efficient.

Like this states:

The NREL-developed PEC system produces hydrogen from sunlight without the expense and complication of electrolyzers.

4 Likes

This is the part about hydrogen that’s kinda awesome… No matter how you create it, it is still an extremely efficient combustion. 100%

All we get out of it is water.

Electrolysis costs about 50 kwh to unlock 35kwh from water. It’s basically the battery of gas.

1 Like

I picked up a cng f150 last year and it’s cheaper to run than my electric car.

2 Likes

So this is a fuel cell vehicle… which means no combustion?

Hydrogen is used to generate current.

Good choice.

Literally about every city vehicle and public utility vehicle run on natural gas, i seen amazon semis and ups semis too now at filling stations. Whats crazy is its a domestic fuel and it comes from landfills, my dad used to install wells in dumps to pump it out in the 80s. Seems too good to be true lol…the high pressure is the only semi sketch thing but it doesnt bother me anymore.

1 Like

You could use plasma gasification and use your waste from your and power your home.

Hydrogen vehicles combust hydrogen to form water. Normal combustion forms water too in addition to carbon dioxide.

A fuel cell is an electrochemical cell that generates current from chemicals. Why are they calling it a fuel cell vehicle if it’s combustion?

I have no idea but that is not what is happening in vehicles (on earth). Just skimmed your article and yes that exists but not to power vehicles and more used for space applications.

https://www.cummins.com/news/2022/01/27/hydrogen-internal-combustion-engines-and-hydrogen-fuel-cells#:~:text=Both%20hydrogen%20internal%20combustion%20engines,is%20used%20in%20an%20engine.