Hyundai Nexo - Hydrogen Cell SUV

Welp, we are getting our first hydrogen powered car. Pretty exciting, I wonder how long untill we start seeing mini hydrogen power plants just cranking away electricity…

What do you guys think? Hydrogen power has always fascinated me. I remember building a weather balloon in high school and making some hydrogen with lye and aluminum foil, And thinking that was a lot of boom for a pretty easy reaction.

5 Likes

How many fuel stations are there for hydrogen?

What made you decide on hydrogen instead of electric?

Cool stuff, and hope you enjoy the new ride!

1 Like

Because we can make hydrogen from humid air and water very easily. So you could basically fill up anywhere.

2 Likes

I’m familiar with hydrogen generation, although I don’t think it’s as simple as a hand wave like that. If it was we’d be doing it already imo.

Was there another reason for that decision?

What about existing fueling options?

Alternative fuel vehicles are super cool to me, back when I was a teen my parents bought a propane fueled truck and I thought it was nuts.

4 Likes

Congrats! Fusion combined with h2 fuel infrastructure would be the bees knees.

These solid state batteries seem promising also.

I saw Toyota was releasing a hydrogen powered model as well. If the infrastructure catches up I will go hydrogen. If not I will stick with my gas and diesel. Tbh I love the idea of hydrogen, but until it’s as convenient as filling up my gas guzzling 4 runner, I won’t switch.

Hope you like it! Post some pics once you pic that shit up…

5 Likes

Cummins is also producing large hydrogen powerplants. I worked with hydrogen fuel cells years ago in the forklift industry. Interesting units but definitely had limitations in that environment/application.

4 Likes

Hydrogen has been in LA for about 4 years now

Toyota and Honda have a model, the Marai is one of them. It’s only been in LA as a pilot test because the fueling stations are only in LA.

Interesting to see it going national.

Imo hydrogen won’t make it for automotive. I’m putting my money on hydrogen for aerospace. (Personal automotive. Maybe hydrogen in the trucking sector too)

2 Likes

95% of hydrogen comes from hydrocarbons. Cracking molecules and reducing methane. Some process called coal something via partial oxidation.

Most hydrogen produced today in the United States is made via steam-methane reforming, a mature production process in which high-temperature steam (700°C–1,000°C) is used to produce hydrogen from a methane source, such as natural gas. In steam-methane reforming, methane reacts with steam under 3–25 bar pressure (1 bar = 14.5 psi) in the presence of a catalyst to produce hydrogen, carbon monoxide, and a relatively small amount of carbon dioxide. Steam reforming is endothermic—that is, heat must be supplied to the process for the reaction to proceed.

Subsequently, in what is called the “water-gas shift reaction,” the carbon monoxide and steam are reacted using a catalyst to produce carbon dioxide and more hydrogen. In a final process step called “pressure-swing adsorption,” carbon dioxide and other impurities are removed from the gas stream, leaving essentially pure hydrogen. Steam reforming can also be used to produce hydrogen from other fuels, such as ethanol, propane, or even gasoline.

1 Like

Joule–Thomson effect - Wikipedia.

Hydrogen going national would be a chillers company’s wetdream. Hydrogen heats up during the transfer process making cooling necessary.

NEAT!!

Vancouver BC has a hydrogen filling station, or did last I looked. not sure if it’s the ONLY one in North America, but I am suspicious…

1 Like

I wonder how well they boom proofed them…gives me pinto vibes

Hydrogen internal combustion engine is a possibility but the electric vehicle future and “renewable energies” Is nothing but smoke and mirrors, without most people taking the time to actually think about it. It’s time people start seriously thinking about the ramifications.

2 Likes

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/hydrogen_locations.html#/find/nearest?fuel=HY

There’s some in California and one on each coast in Canada.

1 Like

Alternative energy is the future or we are dead. You waste 10x renewables just transporting coal, oil and gas.

2 Likes

Sure, but mere hand waving and saying it has to be done doesn’t actually solve anything.

That video is just a couole of minutes and hammers home my entire thought process on the issue. Where’s all this Lithium we’re gonna need for vehicles?

Last I saw the answer was some ridiculous bullshit about scraping nodes off the bottom of the ocean. None of what they are saying we need NOW is remotely feasible even if we committed ourselves 100% to it.

Edit: I don’t think we can continue using fossil fuels the way we do now either, but there needs to be some real discussions about things before we can move forward.

4 Likes

The main problems with hydrogen is the generation typically costs a lot of energy in comparison to how much energy is produced when it combusts. Hydrogen is also a bitch to store because it wants to work its way out of every closed system. For hydrogen to be comparable to hydrocarbon fuels, it must be under immense pressure for it to have any sort of range in a vehicle. Super high pressure hydrogen comes with its own issues as well.

2 Likes

Hydrogen via fuel cells (to generate electricity) or straight combustion is absolutely a viable technology.

The problem with hydrogen, though, is storage density. You can’t pack enough gas in a small enough volume to power a car for long. Liquid hydrogen is difficult to maintain proper conditions for. Transportation and dispensing both of those is problematic as well.

I know there was talk of developing solids impregnated with, or reacting to evolve hydrogen.

Pretty sure this discussion was focused on transportation and if it was viable.

I don’t see anyone dismissing hydrogen altogether.

Such as???
I’m not necessarily disputing you. I’m just curious to see how far did you think this out?