Hydroponic CO2 PH

Hey there

I run a small NFT - hydroponics (recirculating) greenhouse with CBD varieties.

Like everyone else, I adjust the pH value with acids or bases. (PH + PH-)

To my question
Someone had told me that he would adjust the pH of the water using CO2 injection.
Since I find very little information about the use of CO2 to adjust the pH value, I thought to myself that I would discuss this with you.

The first benefit would be that it does not affect the EC.

It would be a very simple system. Possibly even cheaper than PH + / PH- adjustments.
Only CO2 would be added to the water via an air stone. Controlled by a PH sensor and solenoid valve.

And if you already have a CO2 bottle, you can also use it for the atmosphere.

Does anyone have experience with it?

Not sure how your going to raise ph with co2…

2 Likes

Hahah … Good point :joy: I missd this

Usually my PH only goes up so i want to lower it

Plants breathe through the roots. You want as much dissolved oxygen for the roots as possible. Unfortunately, it does make the pH go up.

You can use a fertilizer source with balanced NO3-/NH4+ to help the pH stay stable. You can use pH down every other day until you change your res. Unfortunately, CO2 is not a very good option when roots require dissolved oxygen.

3 Likes

This is a method of tricking the water sensor. When you bubble air on water with nites it affects readable oh bias to suspended molecules. You aren’t actually changing the ph through out. You should use nutrient safe components for adjust your ph.

1 Like

Carbonic acid…but as agtonic says…roots want dissolved oxygen, not dissolved co2…interesting thought though, especially in regard to reducing nute load from up down salts.

2 Likes

Hi there,

in our company we ferment Chinese Hamster Ovary cells, In our Tanks we use CO2 to adjust our pH. This is possible because the Solution absorbs the CO2 which is the Anion of the H2CO3, so if we look at the H2CO3 we have an acid so the CO2 will lower the pH. This is the best way to keep the vitality of the cells above 90%

Our CO2 fumigation is running 24/7 depending on the pH it will adjust more or less liters/h. So just add CO2 once might be too less.

So yes this will work to lower the pH, just as said above I am not quite sure how it will affect the growing due to the needed oxygen.
Although if it wouldnt harm the plants and this works this could be a very good way to adjust your pH and get CO2 into your Growroom, I am not 100% sure but I think not the whole CO2 will be absorbed by your solution, so if theres a little rest of CO2 which is not absorbed it should be released and used by the plants I guess.

So if it works you`ll kill two birds with one stone :slight_smile:

1 Like

You want co2 in the air not the water for plants, unless your in an aquarium setting and need to inject co2 for aquarium plant life needs.

Roots need o2, not co2.

3 Likes