Hydrophobic Extract

Is there a simple way where we can get the bio wax from a plant without losing its hydrophobic characteristic?

squish!

http://future4200.com/search?q=rosin

1 Like

Are you saying that the waxes you extracted now aren’t still hydrophobic?
How were these samples extracted, and how are you testing for this?

We haven’t done the experimentation yet since we don’t know the process, which is what i need to know. We are not allowed to use chloroform because of its high flammability. Can you suggest a safe alternative to chloroform for extraction.

Chloroform doesnt have a high degree of flammability compared to any of the alkanes or alcohols.

diethyl ether,hexane, pentane,heptane will all work. Where are you and what chemicals do you have access to?

bush–mcinerney-2013-2410.pdf (3.0 MB)

again:

why use chloroform.
why use ANY solvent.

make rosin…

which is about as simple as extracting the bio wax gets…

1 Like

Where did you come up with a protocol requiring chloroform?
What are you actually trying to achieve?

the most commonly used solvents in the industry are Ethanol, n-Butane, hydrocarbon blends, and CO2. millions of dollars worth extracted every day. none of them chemically modify the target constituents (extract remains lipophillic).

have you wandered over to the Data Dump! (Scientific Papers) and read any books on the subject?

1 Like

From what I gather he is just looking for the hydrophobic wax layer on the leaf.

1 Like

then the paper that @ScoobyDoobie posted and redacted looks like a win…but I don’t actually see enough data from OP, in any of the threads they’ve started on the subject, to actually reach that conclusion.

did I miss something?

3 Likes