Hydrocarbon (benzine) wash before acetone wash

I want to open this thread to discuss using 2 solvents to make up 2 different crude oils from the same biomass for spd.
Theory…i start with a nonpolar hydrocarbon mix(benzine) bp of 70c 10lt on 1kg biomass(whole buds ,not grinded )in room temp, i then swirl the solvent not too rough and keep it for 24hrs, collect the crude and recover solvent through heat bath, then after buds has dried out again i do the same routine using acetone.
Now for the nonpolar crude i do a room temp winterization with acetone , just adding about 1lt and filtering it out…
For the polar crude i do a activated charcoal clean and filering it out , so i get the chlorophyll out.
So my nonpolar crude , will give me terpenes and thc whereas the acetone after activated charcoal mostly consists of thc-a , so ive found doing the spd separately for these two crudes , the nonpolar gives me tastefull terpenes without the nasty smell , i do not decarb before , i run vacuum slowly with temps , eventualy pulling terps from 150c mantel … the polar crude gives me a high thc percentage distillate and these are frome first passes

1 Like

I wrote some long shit out until I realized benzine is different from benzene :joy: I read it’s a mixture of hydrocarbons anyone care to elaborate?

2 Likes

I think your acetone pull will have a very poor yield.

You probably get 70-80% cannabinoid removal efficiency off a single wash of your non polar.

You’ll also pick up an array of polar contaminants too in your acetone wash unless you temperature control it.

You’d have a thorough extraction though.

It seems to all depend on the age and quality of my biomass , high thc-a = higher yeild on second solvent polar wash (acetone)

But my theory is that the terpenes in my spd comes out way better using benzine with little to no aggitation on the biomass/hydrocarbon , then to get the rest of the compounds like thc-a

Im thinking that nonpolar liquid hydrocarbons does not pull thc-a and your left with terpene free biomass with thc-a

1 Like

This specific benzine that i use is a mix of c4-c7 hydrocarbons

What kinda #s we talking?

Do you have any resin volumes from your pulls?

From 1kg biomass using benzine i get 5ml terpenes(useable) in spd and 50ml avg distillate no lab results

Then after acetone and activated charcoal filter i get anything from 20 to 30ml

The terpene run does not seem to be a problem when starting at low temp 60c and increasing my vacuum by using a swagelok needlevalve, cracking it open just a little until i see the pressure going down from 835.00mbarA at a rate of about 0.50mbar per second , i leave it for about an hour then my vacuum ussually stables out at 200mbarA then i open the valve a little bit more on the same temp , also .5milibar per second… after a couple of minutes when it is down to 100mbar i open valve fully going down to 2mbar i set my vacuum pump to deep vac and it goes down to 0.6mbar then i increase the temp in steps of 10c within half hour im at 160 heater and 145 in still , leave it to run until i see my head temp dropping , then i swing to distillate run

Benzine = mineral spirits. I have a gallon in the garage only because the Home Depot was out of terpentine. Powerful solvent, but the contents are a mystery.