Hybrid wiped film

Mjbiz is the first time I’ve seen a hybrid wiped film system with a steel condenser. Should make the condenser coil a boatload more efficient, I think?

Has anyone here played with one of these? I’m considering springing for a small one for our r&d space.

Like this one: https://www.lab1st.com/hybrid-molecular-distillation

1 Like

Huh that’s interesting. On the other hand any glass-steel connections always make me nervous and this adds a bunch more.

1 Like

That’s a good point. I didn’t see any glaringly stupid things on the one on the floor at MJBiz, but I only spent maybe 10-15 minutes poking at it.

Quick pull for thermal conductivity of SS304 and glass:
thermal conductivity stainless steel 304 = 14.4 W/(m K)
thermal conductivity glass = 1.05 W/(m K)
Per unit thickness, stainless steel will conduct more heat than glass.
Play w/ Fourier’s Law to compare different material thicknesses.
–Have fun

3 Likes

Of course, your net heat transfer is going to depend on way more factors than that - the thermal properties of your chilling fluid, what temperature it’s at, what temp you’re running the hot side at, vac levels, etc.

But yeah, a ~14x increase in heat transfer sounds about right for a pure theoretical number. I think it would probably end up more like 3-10x in the real world, because so much depends on the implementation.

1 Like

we have one at our lab in vegas from the floor of mj biz con. my partner worked out something w the lab first ppl. sucks it didnt come w any heaters or chillers tho. havent used.

I’d love to hear how it works when you get it fired up. Or if I get one before then I’ll remember to post here with a review.