Humidity for kief before pressing into rosin

Hey there,
As the title says I am wondering what RH you guys use before pressing your kief into rosin. Looking through the forums, I noticed that people have talked about their flower being at 55-62% but I have only seen flower.
Thanks guys!

Dead dry. Straight out of the freeze dryer.

3 Likes

Freeze dry it. Any other way is subpar quality

2 Likes

My technician has been getting the kief to 55% RH using boveda packs and says that the lower the humidity the lower the yield will be saying the residual moisture helps drive some of it out. Could you help me understand why that would not be the case?

You dont want moisture in your kief, especially in your rosin. Most likely you are creating some steam in the process and losing alot of Terps when that gets to escape. Do u see bubbles when u press?

I used to keep my kief stored with molecular beads, then sifted kief before pressing to get the beads out

5 Likes

If you don’t have a freeze dryer, desiccant packs work well to remove water without using heat.

What is your approximate press yield off your kief and what is your desired end product ? I commercially press rosin just about every day. The only way I see water increasing yield on kief is if the press yield is sub 50% . If that’s the case there are usually so many darker contaminants in the rosin that it is what we would use in prerolls or edibles.

I tried to dry my kief out in a vacuum oven. The RH was about 17% and I got a significantly lower yield than at 50% RH. My yields before we’re already quite low (25% or so) for kief that was tumbled at 120 micron. I pressed at 195 degrees slowly vamping up to 900 bag PSI. Of 27 grams of kief, I got about a .2

I’m not sure what your goal of end product is, but on very low yield material like you are working with, we press at about 250f and send it off for edibles. If your goal is a dabbable product I would switch to ice water extraction or hand screening before pressing.

1 Like

You could hit it on a 25 micron screen and potentially clean it up a bit also. Whatever falls through the 25 is gonna be undesirables

So you’re saying to take a 25 micron screen and sift the kief over it and anything that sifts out will be bad leaving what I want on the screen?

1 Like

Yeah, it will help get rid of dried plant dust, dust from the air and other non-trichome components like pollen and even mold spores to some degree etc. It may not help at all, but it also might. Depends how much green dust is in your kief i would say. Might even consider taking the 120 down a bit to 75-100 (or just next screening after) if you dont mind sacrificing some quantity for quality

Might want to read this page a bit too