How would you clean up this distillate?

Just wondering what the community here would do with distillate that looks like this. I do have some filtration equipment, a 5L short path, some heptane for a non polar solvent, and the only media i have on hand right now is crx and cry.

Dissolve, freeze, filter, redistill

8 Likes

Looks like fats and unwanted lipids from either heads fraction contamination or oil based pesticide. could run through an spd again or To be thourough winterize then filter in methanol or ethanol recover solvent until dry then dissolve in heptane 5 to 1 to do a brine wash then recover and dry to run through spd.

4 Likes

you down with LLE? … yeah you know me
Untitled

4 Likes

LLE is the way

1 Like

Okay yeah thats what i was thinking but i wanted to try heptane and the crx/cry media and it didnt do anything to the color of the oil heptane solution. Sometimes ya just gotta learn the hard way lol

How much distillate do you have in there? And how much media did you use?

i put 400 grams disty into 1000g heptane. then ran it through 150g crx and 150g cry

Ok! I would suggest bumping up your solvent level to at least a 6:1 or so.
2,5:1 is a little low for remediation.

Since you’re cleaning disti, I would only use CRY, try doing a 1:1-disti:CRY.

When passing your solution through CRY, make sure you’re not going too fast otherwise there won’t be enough time for the media to do its thing.

Hope this helps!!

3 Likes

interesting thank you for the info since i already have it in the heptane ill just add the rest that i have to it, should put me more around 5:1 solvent:oil and reset the filter with 1:1 disti : cry

Hope it works out! Also, flow rate is key.
Faster flow = less remediation
Slower flow = more remediation

1 Like

Flow?

Go in circles… Opaline Silica Thread - #376 by Photon_noir

2 Likes

Hey man! How did it go for you?

Dissolve a small amount in ethanol to try to see if winterizing will help

1 Like

so i didnt have as much heptane as i thought so i havent done anything with it. i just still have 2 jars with 400gs of oil mixed into 1000gs of heptane in each