How To Safely Pump Freezing Acetone or Isopropyl with a Fishtank Pump?

I read that it depends on salinity.

Do you have a curve?

I suggest a different heat transfer fluid.

2 Likes

Isopropyl is more forgiving than acetone for gaskets and such

3 Likes

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200510835_200510835?&cm_mmc=Google-pla&ds_e_ad_type=pla_with_promotion&gclid=CjwKCAiA-f78BRBbEiwATKRRBJTha8cBJjBmH34-3VKAthOsemP4utufyUxMzFE7_E5GocXoTFzY8hoCxo0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_campaign=Roughneck&utm_content=24925&utm_medium=Fuel%20Transfer%20%2B%20Lubrication%20>%20Fuel%20Pumps%20%2B%20Nozzles&utm_source=Google_PLA

?

1 Like

Two entirely different solvents, one you can pump with most things plastic, and viton or neoprene for seals. The other (acetone), everything needs to be ptfe if you want anything to last. Finding a ptfe or peek magnetic drive centrifuge pump would probably be safest and best for longterm use. Ptfe line stainless braided hose for any flex lines of course. If youre not interested in longevity, obviously try whatever, but my solution for acetone has always been ptfe or peek

2 Likes

https://www.coleparmer.com/i/pps-magnetic-drive-pump-8-5-gpm-or-14-6-ft-1-3-hp/0708512

2 Likes

Solutions are in here

1 Like

Deleted

Any ideas on some good ones? :sweat_smile::octopus:

EPDM seals are acetone compatible.

2 Likes

Pull a vacuum on your recieving vessel, or use pressure on your sending vessel, use check valves.

1 Like

Could use a drill if the bit was long enough

EDPM is an option for the seals on this one.

Not suitable… But I mean… Neither is the fishtank pumps

You can get decent rotary vane pumps with buna-N gaskets for like sub $300. I picked up a procon and a cheap ecoplus pump that I saw in another thread. Going to use it with dry ice/ethanol and a glycol/water/saline mix that can get to -60. Hoping for the best :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Let us know the results :octopus::+1:t2:

https://www.amazon.com/AMT-HP01-99-Diaphragm-Plastic-Smooth/dp/B00BF50E5K/ref=asc_df_B00BF50E5K/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312202634579&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15406345132941354230&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002007&hvtargid=pla-522741375582&psc=1

if I can find an all stainless one, should I use it :octopus: :face_with_monocle:

You can get plastic or ss diaphragm pumps that run on compressed air (and are inherently explosion proof) for not that much money (maybe $50-100 more)

2 Likes

ik

but I’m trying to be outside the box

… then again on sale for 160…

Sometimes boxes can be useful…

Personally I’m a Boxer fan

3 Likes

I second @cyclopath , useful box in this case because trying to pump flammable liquids isn’t easy to do cheaply and safely. That submersible pump could crack under low temp or corrode and while the solvent is below its flash point, a potential arc in contact with that is bad news bears.

If you’re just trying to condense alcohol, CaCl2 brine will get you to -50 but would corrode you’re steel, a 60:40 PG/water will get you to -60 and that’s totally pumpable with your submersible pump. The only thing is you need a dry ice bucket and a coil to submerse in the cold bath cuz dry ice+glycol=foam

1 Like

I got some procon pumps, and they actually work wonderfully.(sub $300) I bought a diptube coil, that didn’t fit my solvent tank though so I havent got to try it out in a real world environment yet, but it easily pumped the coldest fluid i could throw at it.(-100ish) They are designed to pump chilled glycol. They aren’t rated super low, but they get there and run just fine. Dylene is the easiest way to get super low, and it’s not to expensive for a super low fluid for heat exchange, you just can’t run silicon hoses.

6 Likes