How to know shatter is "done"

I know this is a very general question so please bare with me. How do you know YOUR shatter is done? I know that every material is going to change the end result. But what I’m getting at is what is the criteria for you to know that your shatter is ready to get packaged? Time? Look? Temp?
Am new to extraction and am looking for others experiences to help me understand the process. (Also can you test for ppm in house?) If so please help me out!
Appreciate all of the help!:call_me_hand:

1 Like
1 Like

I’m gonna say that depends on what you’re calling “shatter”.

In my whirled, it means “glass like”, ie it actually shatters at rm temp.

to achieve that I used a trick from candy making. I would pinch about 300mg sample, warm from the oven, and roll it into a ball. I’d then leave it on my desk for 10 min. if it’s “done” it will break cleanly in two. if it’s not, you’ll get various levels of soft.

I see all sorts of consistencies labeled in the stores as “shatter”, so that might not be what you’re looking for.

one can also call it “done” when it passes local Residual Solvent Analysis (RSA). those vary from one local to another. So again it sort of depends.

4 Likes

I like that marble method. Sometimes the best bits of knowledge we learned centuries ago. Reminds me of how sugar was tested for proper temp before thermometers. Marie-Antoine Careme, one of the world’s first celebrity chefs, was known to cool his hand in freezing water before plunging it into boiling sugar, pulling his hand out and analyzing how the sugar behaved when he spread his fingers apart.

6 Likes

i mean its a lot easier to and lest dramatic to just drop a drop of sugar in the water and watch for the thread

4 Likes

Yeah, but people don’t seem as amazed when you tell them that method :wink:

4 Likes

I am definitely going to try this!
My boss and I are based out of Los Angeles and we see the entire gambit of “shatter” and just was looking for others thoughts on how the end result will look/feel. (Have seen oily wet, “shatter” all the way to clear, colorless glass like “shatter”
Also we will not be sending product out for testing until we are happy with the appearance of the product.
This is one I’m happy with thus far.

1 Like