How to eliminate decarb smell?

Ive done it with a 23QT presto and a 1500w hot plate from sears

edit: also try a glove stretched over the top of the beaker while decarbing that is a good idea

Check the gaskets to make sure it is getting a good seal. Sounds like you have a leak.

My pressure cooker is really old, and the gaskets don’t quite fit without modification. Sometimes I have to open and close it a couple times to get a good seal. Even with a little bit of leakage I can still get 15psi on an electric stovetop with a 21q pressure cooker.

1 Like

Its brand new, though I do think a leak could be possible. But I checked the ring and other areas without finding it. I should mention I am using a portable electric cooktop and not a range.

I think my wattage is too low at only 1800w. Also I thought that for cbd decarb, temps of around 280 were ideal, while as the inside of the pressure cooker will only hit 250. You think a glove would be a good idea? Any issues with the vinyl or latex? Also Im not sure one would fit around my 3000 or 1000ml beaker,.

If there is a leak it should be very noticeable.

There isn’t really an ideal temp to decarb at as far as I know. If you want to decarb at a lower temp increase time.

@ajonesy777: decarb will happen at room temp if you’re patient.

1800W should be plenty of ergs to bring a couple of cups of water to the boil in a pressure cooker.

have you tried just the pressure cooker and a couple of cups of water? How much extract are you trying to decarb? How long did you wait before deciding you couldn’t reach pressure?

2 Likes

3 qts of water and 700ml of coconut/hemp oil. I have tried just the pressure cooker. I tried 2-3 times over an hour each time. I actually ended up frying out my cooktop and needed to contact amazon about a replacement. The water did seem to be boiling, but I could not get past 5 psi.

why so much water?

condensing steam is a great way to transfer heat.

I would have run it with an in or two of water in it. You do have to worry about running out of water, but dialing the heat back so you’re not actually losing much is the correct response there.

without actually doing the math, it doesn’t seem that trying to heat 3quarts of water up to 120C should have killed an 1800W cook top. heating water is hard, but not that hard.

1 Like

Those portable cooktops are generally crap, if your pressure cooker will work with induction those are usually much better and some allow digital “temp control”. If that wont work look for an electric burner that is rated for canning. They are usually the old school coil type and its what I use for my 21 quart canner several times a year without issue.

1 Like

cheap pressure cookers are more often Alu than SS.
so chances are it won’t work with an induction burner.

they are great tools

Are we talking about decarbing dry herb or extracted material?

For dry herb, i like to use a sous vide method and open en process the decarbed bag further in a room with a fume hood scrubber.

1 Like

cheapest thing i can think of to do to help is run a line from your exhaust into a jug of kitty litter. it will catch most of the smell you are experiencing.

@ajonesy777 If you use Amazon, type in bamboo or coconut charcoal air purifying bags. In my experience working at SRI Instruments, I have found keeping them in my office makes a difference. Compared to the main lab & tech support area, my office does not have a chemical and decarb scent.
I also keep clean air plants in my office, such as bromeliads and some succulents.

Hope it helps!

I was using that much water because that is what the manual recommended and said not to run less. I got a new burner in, so I can try with less water on Monday. I think it was the time that the burner was left on. It also shuts off intermittently to regulate temperature, so that could have been a factor in not reaching enough pressure.

1 Like

I would have to return my pressure cooker and get the induction version of it. Also a new electric burner. This will be my next move if necessary. I am going to try with less water first with my new burner that came in.

I will definitely take this advice!

1 Like

I was advised that decarbing the extracted materials would be more efficient. So that is what we are doing currently. Our fume hood is being welded together as we speak.

Update: The fan and carbon scrubber seemed to help for a while. But we are back to getting complaints again. This time my ability to use this lab space is being jeopardized. Pressure cooker did not seal, and the filters are clearly not cutting into the problem. Is decarb under cold trap with vaccum the best option. Getting really stressed here as the owner of my space is telling me to start decarbing off site.

man maybe an inline ozone generator and shoot it outside but now you have a weird rain / wet smell

1 Like

Perhaps you should look into a grow tent and have the tent have carbon filtering.