How should I prep fresh frozen for a bizzy bee?

I was curious if it is better to crush my fresh frozen into small nugs or if it’s better to leave then larger and just pack them into the column. I know that if it’s too small it will clog, but is there a “sweet spot?”

Don’t powderize it but while it’s nice and brittle you can smack it on both sides with a rubber mallet or smash it in the bag against a hard table on both sides. That usually gets it to the right size. Also remember friction equals heat and you may not be doing this in a walk in, so remember to work quickly or take re freezing breaks on the material

6 Likes

I prefer to have the material flash frozen with a light vac seal in a large food saver bag. And then I pulverize it into as much of a powder as possible :person_shrugging:t4: always have. Don’t let it melt or defrost in any way. Pack socks and keep it frozen the entire time. Do not let it melt or defrost, at all. I used to load them on the machine. Drop the sock in, pour one bag at a time and pack each one. I can get 8kg of FF in there.

11 Likes

8kg in how big of a column?

I get the FF sent to me in a bag in a bunch of relatively small plastic totes, and once im ready to start packing I use my scoop to sort of chop the material into smaller pieces, however I’ll usually get some material super powdery and some of it is still pretty big chunks, I’ll have to try the mallet next time and see if I get a difference. Thanks!

1 Like

Do you know what the difference in outcome would be tho if you were to blast giant nugs vs a powder? My worry was that breaking the material down that much would break down the cell walls allowing too much chlorophyll and other undesirables through, however I also know that running cold asl will prevent that from happening so I’m not sure. I’m fairly new to extraction so sorry bout all the questions lol

if you extract as buds and dont break them up your yields will suffer some.

5 Likes

But will i also get more chlorophyll and fats and waxes and such in my final product or will the cold temperature prevent that?

1 Like

Flash freezing the material is imperative. It will freeze everything fast enough to not erupte the cell walls in the plants matter when pulverized or broken up. Breaking everything into smaller pieces will expose more resin glands to be extracted easier. If the buds are whole, there’s a good chance that you will not get to all of them, as they are surrounded by ice, cold butane (under freezing) will not extract through ice and will just go around it, missing the extraction all together.

Butane will always grab some minute amount of fats. Longer contact and warmer temps will promote this.

4 Likes

We would typically smash the bags they come In from the farm , to my knowledge having larger nugs makes it hard for the solvent to push through all the material, then after quickly smashing we chuck it back in a freezer so we can get through a good amount of FF for prep after it’s all smashed we would shove 4.5-6 kg in a micron sock , that should help from getting clogged