How often should you replace reflectors (gavita de 1000w)

Going through my gavita manual to see how often to replace my bulbs (according to the pamphlet every 5000 hours), and noticed they said the reflector needs replaced every 5000 hours as well. Never heard of the reflectors needing replaced, is it necessary how often do you guys replace if it is?

1 Like

The grow facility I was working at used de gavitas. Don’t think they ever replaced the reflectors in the 3 years they’ve been using them, regular cleanings but no replacement. Haven’t really noticed a drop on the par meter so long as you keep up with the bulbs.

1 Like

I think their reasoning or claim is that the uv deteriorates the reflectivity.

2 Likes

When i was working in a grow shop some people would change the reflectors once every 4 grows, others wouldn’t change them at all. Yes the lamps attack the reflectors but I dont think there is a HUGE amount of difference in 1 year of use, maybe 3 or 5.
I change my reflectors every 3 years irrelevant of what they are. ( this includes florescent propagator lamps too )

1 Like

I wonder if this applies to all hoods, or just gavita hoods?

I have big kahuna hoods going on 6yrs of service.

2 Likes

I change all hoods after 3 years.
You can see the surface starting to diminish.
But the highest gram/watt I ever achieved was with 4 or 5 year old hps no horticultural bulbs in hoods designed for flood lighting …
I think before worrying about changing the hood and getting more light. Utalising the existing light is far more important.
PAR readings would have to be taken ultimately.

Something else that I have often thought is light spacing.
Light spacing for rooms with different grow systems should be different. A plant in an aeroponic system can process more light than that in soil because its metabolism is faster.
Most rooms are just set up with a standard distance between lamp centers depending on wattage and then the distance from plant set with a light meter. No real consideration is taken into growing methodology and how much light the plant can actually use. ( is this sound thinking ? )

1 Like