How much to upcharge for concentrate packaging?

Heyo,

Obviously there’s a bunch of variables in here to factor in (local wage, rent, competition etc.) But what would you charge extra to take your concentrate to a finished packaged product for a client? I’d be doing a white label scenario. I’m toll processing for a 40-50% cut usually. They’ve asked for us to package for market.

I was thinking $0.50-$1/g (not inclusive of the packaging itself) for a labor premium plus equipment investment/amortization.

I estimate two employees should be able to handle 500 packages per hour (based on current cart filling and/or estimate for shatter packaging).

At $25/h (I want to pay well). This should end up with somewhere around $200-450/h going back into the business. I’m wanting to obviously upgrade the equipment to something more automated, so wanting to dump the capital back into more equipment.

I guess this is mostly competition and equipment dependant. But does that seem like a fair margin to charge? Does anyone have some solid numbers they’re currently using?

3 Likes

What are you packaging?

1 Like

Distillate cartridges, also will be doing shatter/wax/concentrates into small jars.

I charge an extra 50 per oz to local dispensary to package shatter and no one has given me any guff about it.

2 Likes

I’d be curious on medium scale. Want to stay competitive. I know margins will just be squeezed. Seems like my pricing is pretty nicely in line though.

1 Like

Up charging 1 dollar for gram into jar and into retail packaging is what I have seen

4 Likes

A buck is what I would charge

3 Likes

I’m in the same scenario and looking to package some shatter for a customer. Is it realistic that one employee can package 250 grams of shatter in one hour? Also, did the $1 a gram charge work out?

If its stable shatter it might be possible. @Mr-cloud

1 Like

Good to hear. We will be weighing stable shatter into grams, placing inside PTFE sheets, then into bags. We will also be heat sealing them. Any input on if that quantity is still realistic with that process? Thanks!

Probably take double time with all that. Possibly longer if packager hasn’t been doing for a while

2 Likes

with all that and really stable shatter, one person might be able to do 50-100 an hour, are all the ptfe sheets pre folded? let us know how much you guys end up getting done, I’m always curious to what good packaging numbers look like at other labs. I wish I had more automated packaging stuff but in the future I’m sure it will be mandatory to be competitive.

2 Likes

There are 3600 seconds in an hour. Someone weighing it out accurately enough, putting it in the package and heat sealing it, will probably take around 25-30 seconds. The average person will probably do 100-150 packages an hour with those numbers.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. We’ll be tackling this next week and will report back with how we did.

Am I really the only person who crushes his shatter into a dust grams it out cold and just uses a hot mat to turn them back into mini slabs?

4 Likes

100-150 an hour would be expected for shatter grams. I have clients who want half grams. And that tends to take more time for accuracy sake. And consistency is also key. It your dealing with pull snap or anything like that. Expect it to take a little longer

The secret with pull and snap is to get it cold enough to shatter, then push it back together.

We ran a packaging program for some of our clients that wanted packaged products, I am comfortable saying one person could do 50 an hour maybe less doing shatter, FEP 4x4 squares were used to hold the product and a clam shell blister packaging with a insert card that would have label on back that printed per batch, flow went gramming It, folding film by second person into a tub, then the two people would switch to placing the label on to the back of the insert card, then both would insert the folded film into packaging and slide in card bundling them into 5’s to make counting easy. 150 an hour per person is a lot to ask from just one person, gramming shatter is also the hardest of them all to gram, since you would have to break off .1 and .2 pieces that are very small and can be hard to do versus something like a sugar which can scooped in and out very easily of jars, a Single person might even be able to do 100 sugar grams an hour. Our expectable weight range was .96-1.04 all gramming was on done on 100th scales for accurate weighing.

5 Likes