How many grams are you putting in a liter?

So lots of people think 1000g equals 1000mg. Obviously that’s not right. What’s everyone weighing out their liters of distillate in grams? I’ve seen like 910g-940g to equal a liter

1 Like

But a ml of distillate is almost a gram?

2 Likes

From my experience it’s the other way around 900g will be more than 1 liter of volume

1 Like

I thought people always did a kg & just call it a liter.

5 Likes

I think this is why most people selling and using extracts in these volumes will refer to them as kilos…because very few people are measuring volume when refining to edibles or carts or tinctures etc…almost all quantifications are done with mass IE; grams, kilograms, milligrams etc…

12 Likes

3 Likes

Hahahahahahahaha
I know so many people who measure it by sight… I have been telling them for years. Thank you for the screenshot.

9 Likes

Haha ya exactly I just started making distillate recently and my buddy was just like fill it to the top of the jar, that’s a liter. So the next few times I weighed them and they were over 1000g. I’m not trying to give away 100g of disti.
Also I feel like the density of distillate would be more than oil. I’m glad I got this thread going. Maybe we can all decide on a standard number for a liter?

9 Likes

I use liter in social situations where most people would assume key as something besides distillate

7 Likes

But a “liter” should be a key of distillate or 1000 grams of uncut, properly remediated distillate.

10 Likes

Ok just for reference on a wide mouth quart ball jar. How high do you have to fill it? Or does it take multiple quart jars. The times I’ve done 1000g liters they were a full quart jar and another around a 1/3 full

2 Likes
3 Likes

I just weigh it to 1001g and call it a Liter. I have 1L Scientific Storage Bottles and they are all within 0.5g (580ish grams usually) of each other. They have a 1L mark on them that is EXACT, and when I weigh out 1001g , it’s usually just a hair under the 1L mark. So I would guess 1L =980-1020g depending on how hot it is. But seriously we are all measuring by the gram, who sells 1ml carts? No one. Everyone sells half gram or full gram carts.
When people have ask me for a Liter, they usually mean a Kg. I dont want to correct them, cuz I want their moolah :shushing_face:

14 Likes

Tare whatever the fuck ur pouring ur distillate into and put 1000gs in it are you seriously asking directions on how to weigh shit ??

To everybody who’s not putting 1000gs in their liters your a goofy and no one will do repeat business with you, let it be known.

5 Likes

To me a liter is just slang for 1000g

14 Likes

Such an odd thing to see in this industry calling a kilo the liter and half milliliter and 1 ml carts half gram and full gram. Now I’m wondering what I should be putting on my cart labels I was assuming .5ml and 1 ml with the distillate dose as in 900mg/ml assuming 10% of the mixture is terpenes

5 Likes

I think his would be hard to explain to the average consumer, all there gonna hear is that there short by bowever many gram. I do the same as you 1k gs is a liter here when it’s obvious that 1k is a kilo. I dont know im gonna continue they same way i have im already 1 foot out the door no reason to rock the boat

3 Likes

In regards to finished products: From a pharmaceutical standpoint, products are typically expressed in weight units of measurement (mg in this case). You can advertise in % CBD % THC, or use ratios to simplify calculations for your consumers. Either way of expression is not right nor wrong. For the sake of consistency in the lab, I recommend products be expressed in units of weight/mass. Even with distillate being measured in mL, if you isolated the active ingredients, you would be left with the weight of active ingredients once you removed the liquid solvent it’s dissolved in. The distillate should therefore have a unit of measurement of mg/ml (mg active ingredients / amount of liquid it is dissolved in which may include terpenes, MCT oil.

Distillate should be expressed in % w/v (% weight/volume). Percentages are always expressed over 100ml of solution, not 1000ml (1L) solution. So a 95% purity distillate would be reported as 950mg/ml. So in this instance, To obtain a true 1000g of product you would need…1.052 liters of 95% (X Cannabinoid) distillate.

Willing to be wrong just my general assumption.

8 Likes

Agreed. I think most customers would never put a second thought towards whether or not their “liter” of disty would come out to 1k grams or not. As @anon56994712 said its definitely slang. I know I wouldn’t be happy to receive 910gs instead of a full 1000g . I also agree that I wouldn’t call someone out on using the wrong vocab if they were a customer lol, great thread!! At least this isn’t people calling general extracts “dabs” god I love that one.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

4 Likes

Lmao

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::facepunch::facepunch::facepunch::facepunch:

Seems I thought the answer was pretty straight forward till I started reading! I bet the buyer was the first to make this argument

5 Likes