How long does your cryo hold temp?

So my first experience with a cryo freezer - we got down to -76c in about 24 hours from +17c, turned the unit off and waited about an hour to check to see where it would sit, was up to -58 when it stabilized after turning the power on for a few mins - I’m assuming due to us having an ambient area temp of approximately 20c the freezer loses its cold faster.

Curious to hear if everyone leaves their cryo(s) on most of the time (all the time) to keep temp up or how long they stay up to temp for you before you need to turn it back on.

I also have zero idea of how many watts my unit is drawing; only that it’s 208/230v 12a. I tried looking up the model which is ufrc1386-7-d12

2760watts

Based off info provided

1 Like

Depends on if it’s single phase or three-phase.
Also, can almost guarantee that if your in a commercial United States location, your power is 120/208. 230 is some European shit

208V, 1-Phase Power - 2496 watts
208V, 3-Phase Power - 4300 watts

230V, 1-Phase Power - 2760 watts
230V, 3-Phase Power - 4780 watts

4 Likes

120/240v is standard single phase voltage in America. They list appliances at 230v and they will run on +/- 10%. 120/208 is one of the many three phase configurations. Difference between America and Europe is frequency 50 vs 60 cycles I believe.

2 Likes

Sorry totes forgot to say 1ph

And according to the power displayed on the panel I’m guessing 230 (holds steady around 232 I believe)

1 Like

I based off single should have included 3 phase thank you :pray:t3: @TheGratefulPhil

2 Likes

Is your panel a decent distance from the transformer( like transformer at the road and building a good distance set back)? Older transformer?

From the transformer station or just the one on the line? Yeah the building is far enough back - to my knowledge

1 Like

The one on the pole where you come off the road, or it can be on a pole on your property or the ground depending on how it comes in. The distance from the road is the most likely reason your @232 instead of 240v

Nearly 100m from the small transformer on the transfer case off the line to the building. If we’re talking those BIG transformers on the mainline there’s not one in sight lol

1 Like

Yup, that 300’ is where your voltage drop is coming from🤙

2 Likes

And I just leave my freezer running. I keep my dry ice in it, so the savings on dry ice help to offset the electric bill

2 Likes

?!?!?

if you want them cold, you leave them turned on.

they only use as much energy as is required to keep them cold. because they have thermostats. if you just nailed both compressors ON, then turning them off so they didn’t just keep getting colder (till losses == cooling power at the temp) would make sense.

the only time I’ve ever wanted to know how long they would stay cold was when the power went out. at which point we always packed them with dry ice. because we wanted them COLD.

4 Likes

120/240V and 120/208V are both pretty standard in the US. It’s all about how the power is transmitted. Either Wye or delta configuration.

Wye - 120/208
Delta - 120/240

Different places do it differently. Most places I’ve seen in Oklahoma are wye

1 Like

I’ve worked all over the east coast and Midwest and never encountered a 120/208 single phase. Learn something new every day. Thanks @TheGratefulPhil

1 Like

Anytime doc! Pretty good to know about the east coast too!

Different strokes for different folks

3 Likes

Ahh cool, good to know. I knew that I’d lose a little bit 1 just like with extension cords out of an outlet but I didn’t figure it’d be that much for such a short distance

1 Like

If you want your freezer to stay cold or to temp… you leave it plugged in and turned on. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I’ve done a lot of temperature mapping activities, including with -80C units. There are always hot and cold spots. Each unit, even of the same model, will have slightly different hot and cold spots. It will hold temperature longer if it is full of stuff that is already that cold.

I’ve done power off studies for freeze/thaw issues. If you don’t want to keep it turned on all the time - let me know if you want help setting up a temperature map with a freeze/thaw study. Its also worth noting that the indicator on your unit is for a single location within your freezer. So even if it says its -58, it could be +/-10 or 15 degrees in other locations. Usually the top being the hottest (although not always) and the bottom being the coldest.

The less air you have inside the better it will hold that temperature. I have filled extra space with ice packs/gel packs before (the ones you use for frozen/refrigerated shipping).

Hope that helps a bit. Cheers.

2 Likes