How is Illinois for opening a CO2 extraction lab? Anyone here with experience in licensing in Illinois?

I’m wondering if anyone here has experience or is operating out of Illinois.

I’d like to hear how it was for you to acquire licensing, property, building, etc.

Since my last thread, I’ve put together a plan for myself and have done an absolute metric ton of research. I’m getting closer to opening up my own lab and would absolutely love to hear some testimonials from some people out in IL!

Thanks, guys!

1 Like

Im looking for the same thing. Im in the Chicago area. Where are you thinking?

Have you chosen your extractor yet ?
I know that THAR process
“Helps” their custumers but realize that they will probably want a piece. Of the pie

Yes. I believe at this point in time I’m going with Apeks. A lot of testimonials I’ve heard on the site and off the site pretty much helped me pick Apeks. @Roguelab

Hmm ok
Haven r worked with their gear
Why CO2 as solvent ?

2 Likes

@Roguelab

I know everyone here loves ethanol extraction and I’ll admit, I do too. Ethanol is probably superior to CO2 at this point, but I feel like from what I’ve read and seen, CO2 makes the most sense for my first lab. Eventually, I will integrate ethanol in … but CO2 seems like the better fit for now.

If you have the patience for fine tuning your unit yes it s a great method
But please have a look around for other brand options
And also here on the site for possible modification on apek s units to speed up the process
We are now in the era where volume matters and co2 has it s low side there
I think i personally would recomend a used unit with a new compressor pump to speed up the procces
In my findings all units only run at 60% of what is claimed by manufacturer
The thar i ran did 3.15 hours per 400 liter of biomass and that is connsidered fast
At (3 mln$) for the unit i find that slow
Thar claims 2 hours
I recomend talking to guy s on the floor with these unit s
@ExTek90 @Betroit are some

1 Like

Wondering the same thing. Have family farm of 400 acres near Peoria

1 Like

Illinois?

1 Like

Y-yes? @BrotanicalMatt

Sorry late to the party.

I just know some landowners out there and put two and two together. :sweat_smile:

We build co2 rigs

License - go for it, we got approved for ours after 3 weeks & the application was simple/online.
Porperty - rates are expensive close to the city & landlords can be pickier about who they want as a tenant cause demand is high (and there’s still some CBD stigma). We settled about 40 min west of Chicago & got a good deal. Not a lot of buildings near Chicago have 3-phase it seemed like, so if you find one that meets all your requirements at a good price, just go for it.

2 Likes

Dan Where outside of chicago are you? Got a business name?

Would not recommend Thar unless you want one of their very large systems, smaller systems they can do custom but as a business they kinda suck

Hemp license for cultivating and processing in Illinois took <72 hours to be approved.
Very simple process and the the IDOA has been helpful.

1 Like

We started with the 2x200liter unit and have two 2X750 liter units on there way
They work ok for crude and terps
But lack fine tunning capability s
But are. A lot faster than eden and apex rigs
We got a tolling contract with thar so
That made it an easy decission

Fair enough, my impression is they are much better to work with if you buy their big systems, which makes sense because more money for them

Yes their tolling contract is pretty wild
But with a minimum investment you are up and running our luck was that my friend already had a gmp novel foods processing company and thar reequested setting up their rigs in his facility so it went fairly easy

1 Like

Cool, i don’t know much about their tolling

I was interested in thier supercritical chromatography when i went to their site in Pittsburgh :sunglasses:

1 Like