How important are material column shower heads

I would like to add an additional column to my cls, but I’m having trouble deciding if I want a shower head on top of my second column. I would like to be able to bottom feed the set up, and I’m worried I’ll push material through/clog the second shower head, as there’s really no good way to filter it without deteriorating the shower head’s function

always wondered this myself.
i pressurize my columns up to 100psi before dumping…do i really need a shower head if i do that?

Just because there is pressure in the system doesn’t mean liquid is distributed over all the material.

5 Likes

in some instances yes. but if im nitro pushing from my solvent tank into my non heated columns up to 100psi are you saying that my columns arent full of liquid butane?

1 Like

I wonder if screen gasket or filter plate would evenly distribute the solvent. Or at least better than nothing

2 Likes

The larger the tube diameter, the greater the need for a shower head.

2 Likes

I’m running 4"

Another option is to upgrade your compression lids with a spray stem.

4 Likes

Bottom feed and let gravity work in your favor.

5 Likes

I’ve heard these are the tits for collection tanks, sprays on the wall like a cheap-o falling film setup. Work nice for columns too tho huh?

1 Like

I like to finish with a top feed, personally

1 Like

Works well for both

Collection tank, like solvent tank, or collection “pot”.

Ahh I was referring to where my columns empty into as my collection tank, and where I store my solvent as my solvent tank. I think it’d be sweet to have one in my collection tank, I’d just need two solvent tanks to make it work

1 Like

It would be weird if you wanted it in the solvent tank. I just wanted to make sure

1 Like

That’s what comes standard on most ETS systems, I believe. A screened gasket above the material but below solvent injection to distribute solvent evenly.

If the solvent is being pushed at 100 psi, where else would all that solvent be going? Reminds me of a rec company I used to work for. They did 1 hour long soaks. Their thought process was that the solvent needed time to soak into the center of the sock. As if the 100 pounds of pressure on every square inch wasn’t enough to penetrate it. I could be wrong though.

1 Like

Not when it comes to BHO—if you look back like three years ago we really dove into that one

5 Likes

I meant as in gravity making sure that all the biomass gets hit by solvent. We found that true closed-loop push and pulling butane at 60 psi upwards in a 4’ column at a gallon/lb and purposely leaving the tail end of the extract on the biomass worked well to give an extract that could go straight into decarb and SPD.

I put together a parallelized version of the SkunkPharm Terpenator 3.0 and from an operational point of view, it worked like a charm. Typical crude yields from average/good trim were in the 12-16% range.

When the tube has been filled all the way up, there’s an optional soak period by just turning off the refrigerant pump. And closing the valve at the bottom by the manifold.

4 Likes

but if i push at 100psi would i need to bottom feed? im not trying to be rhetorical at all here. my logic is thinking that im cramming butane into every square millimeter in that column