How do you Short Path?

That’s why we use Ben @touchscience

1 Like

I learned through salem and was bait and switched on equiptment with warped glass to used pumps and broken bulls eye . I had to rebuild some salem and lab boy , gold leaf , ace and percision . Alot of shit. Its a really cool skill , that has paid off in so many ways .

2 Likes

Deleted

3 Likes

A saline scrub would help remove some of those thermolabile compounds that tend to oxidize

2 Likes

Purchased a Lab Society 5L Silvered Executive Kit yesterday, with a nitrogen backfill setup and bubbler/glass 3-way high vac valve. I’ve predominately used WF and this is my first system that I’ll have full control of. I’ve used a Summit, customer-designed Chemglass, and yes…a LabBoy…seen both ends of the spectrum.

I’m pairing it with a Welch CRV-Pro6 and traditional dewar cold trap. LS will probably offer full-bore traps in the future, but for now this’ll do.

I chose Lab Society after tedious research on Summit / Rocco. With the time constraints and budget I’m working with - I realized that LS was the better option. (Not to say I would have spent more or less on Summit)…it was about what you get - and who supports you. I’ll update here how it works out!

UPDATE: Kit came as promised, 5-7 day build time and about 3 day ship time. Delivered liftgate and very well packaged. Out of the entire kit - one tiny glass 1/4" “T” broke. It’s used for the nitrogen backfill setup, so I can improvise in the meantime. Most every piece of glass is Chemglass, the Lab Society branded controllers/etc are USA made; just as good as any JKem stuff I’ve ever used. The silvered head is very nice and they provided a nice amount of packing media. We have yet to run it, as we’re waiting on a KF16-KF25 adaptor for our Welch CRV Pro 6. The only thing I wish the system had was a full bore cold trap, but at the time of purchase Lab Society had them in R+D. Very happy overall with this level of customer service and quality.

11 Likes

Congrats on the new setup

1 Like

I’ve always admired the conceptual learning over procedure

Have you used the ptfe sleeves with good results? I get them to seal, but they never get as good vac as straight grease. I just got apiezon, haven’t tried it out yet. Hoping it will solve my infernal vac issues.

You can get a stainless cold trap for under 500, and youll have kf25 fittings to start with.

4 Likes

Thanks for making me realise that. Was about to get another dewar, but this would work much better.

Can some one tell me how these distalites are consumed, are they smoked,dabbed,Vaped?ate? Do they taste way stronger, better louder? Does it get you higher than just doing bunch dabs fse or live sauce? Thanks guys I really appreciate it

I think I get higher from good hydrocarbon extracts. The problem with distillate is the lack of terpines, there can also be a high d8 content from isomerazation of cannaboids. You can consume it with any method, where it shines is vape pens. You can blend any flavor from a blank pallet.

As far my vape juice, will it be cheaper to make, taste better and everything if I get homegenizer and use plain VG ,terps, and live sauce? Better than wax liquidizer?

The flavor will be certainly more pleasing, although the two drawbacks to that method are: particulate matter can shorten the life of a cart by clogging and burning on the heater. This can in turn cause dark spotting around the holes that surround the heater. The second drawback is visual appeal, the carts will appear cloudy, or darker than a distillate product. There isn’t anything wrong with using a high quality co2 oil or hydrocarbon extract. @Plant2pipe fills with a high quality co2 extract. I teased him a little about it beacuse of the color, but I’m a butthole…my friends know that! If you want a real weed profile, and like a more natural product then his product is the way to go!

1 Like

So using homegenizer and vg with concentrates until I have distalites to make with and straight tetps

Warning: super dumb question coming up!

What about machined metal distillation heads? What would be the downside to a nice copper or aluminum distillation head? Is visibility that important?

Copper and Aluminum aren’t inert. At high temperatures, they may form compounds with certain fractions. I would imagine that is not ideal in an end product.

1 Like

I knew there was a good reason.

I’m not sure visibility is actually required, but it sure helps when trying to figure out a new process.

I remember having to put a stethoscope on my “bigfoot” extractor to figure out what was happening in there.

3 Likes

@Sidco_Cat
You could easily do it with just some pipe and fittings for the entire rig. The gas has no special affinity for either metal or glass and distillation would proceed in either case. Distillation is simply about evaporation and condensation and both happen easily in metal or glass under the right vacuum and temps.

There does not need to be fractionating power either for any given head configuration if the goal is simply to refine this stuff to high purity. I refine to very high purity and use no fractional distillation at all. Essentially just a pipe coming out the top of a metal pot and fitted so it runs down to collection vessel would work for simple distillation vacuum or otherwise.

Copper and aluminum metal cooking vessels obviously get used all the time at the temps we see in distillation and very much hotter in cooking our food and stills have been employed with copper for a very long time to good effect. Those metals would work fine.

2 Likes