How do you organize your knowledge?

I find folders in a file system to be a pretty clunky way of handling knowledge collection. Especially when multiple people are using it.

I found this tool called Obsidian.

I think it’s a great way to work on organizing at least a bit of the knowledge I absorb (or try to absorb) every day.

Here’s an example of the present state of my “process equipment” folder.

Each of those items is a page. Here’s the Mixers page:

You can link to external websites, embed PDF’s (and set what page they default to), embed most common image types, link to other internal Obsidian pages, embed websites, etc.

The embedding of websites thing is pretty handy. Here’s an obsidian page where I embedded a web version of the Solvent Recovery thermodynamics calculator I released here as an excel sheet some years ago. I plan to release more calculators in the not too distant future, but life is what it is these days.

How do you organize your knowledge?

12 Likes

I struggle with organization. I use notability on my iPad and iPhone. I find for me it’s helpful for my own notes and research. It’s not very helpful when I need to search literature PDFs for specific information

2 Likes

I write down everything I do (almost) every day in a notebook.IMG_0638

10 Likes

Thank you @Lincoln20XX

As far as paper lab notebooks, I found a paper notebook to be almost worthless going through grad school back in the early 90’s, and rolled my own LIMS once upon a time. It was primitive, but searchable beat the hell out of paper.

The physicists hadn’t given Hypertext markup language to the whirled yet, so I was using HyperCard then FileMaker…then MySQL.

When NSF insisted we barcode our corn, the labs I was in railed against that. As did the cannabis lab I implemented that in before it was forced upon us. It’s the right way to do the job. Humans are not good with strings of numbers or letters. Not writing, not reading, not matching. Computers are good at ALL of those. Their writing is usually more legible too…

5 Likes

I really need to explore this option. My memory is fairly good and can remember the main points of most things I look into, but the details are what kills me. I usually waste a lot of time trying to find that one article or source that has some specific info. writing things down doesn’t help, neither do bookmarks, etc… That obsidian thing you posted seems like it has a lot of potential. Gonna play around with that one tonight!

2 Likes

I use Evernote for personal and OneNote for business notes. All cloud based. Obsidian seems cool w the ability to embed sites.

I also use a program called mind manager. It’s a great tool in the toolbox for the organization of the mind. :chipmunk:

1 Like

ee4b83294099a817004945015cc5006f

Pretty much like so

5 Likes

I am gonna QR code fuckin everything in my facility. All the equipment, all the batch vessels, all the product, everything. Even the minions, probably.

If anyone is in need of an organizational system to go with their organizational tool, I’m working my way through the Building a Second Brain course.

The PARA (Projects, Areas, Resources, Archive) methodology it’s based around seems pretty solid and efficient.

The guy who developed it uses Evernote, which seems to work well, but he is pretty platform agnostic.

My only gripe with Evernote is that you’re stuck with Evernote. I ended up with Obsidian because it’s based around markdown, and lives in flat files on my file system. If I ever need to move away from Obsidian, it’s all on my hard drive. Being a bit of a privacy and security nut, I like that feature.

7 Likes

GoodNotes vs Notability??? any thoughts

1 Like

I’m gonna check that out. I usually run a ERP/CMS System for my stuff and use a lot of the tools built into it. Cloud Folders and spreadsheets always help me too.

I use a free tool called zotero for organizing papers.

Unfortunately I’m not familiar with good notes to give you a meaningful comparison

I’m using One Note. I love it. Feels like a notebook - I can even take written notes and scribble on drawings using my surface.

Plus I can share it with anyone on my team - embed links - create a page hierarchy - and generally use the search feature to find things. Probably a GoogleFu search would be better than a MS search any day… but I don’t like the Google options for note taking myself.

2 Likes