How do you make a centrifuge go WOOF?

I’m an electrician and this is incredibly stupid it can still be live and not sizzle…then what? It really should only sizzle if it’s shorting hot to neutral or ground

We dont do small incisions either…you just creating a future short opportunity

9 Likes

Testing to failure IS important…

…but I don’t have a mezzanine, and this is supposed to be a production gig not an R&D (repair & destroy) one :shushing_face:

4 Likes

I wasn’t aware there was a difference there lol

6 Likes

See my post above…

2 Likes

Was this a lanphan ?

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Standard oil dump site

why the hell did she need to cut the wire? just disconnect the thing and remove it.

that is a good way to win a Darwin award, try a non contact tester like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Non-Contact-Detector-Klein-Tools-NCVT1P/dp/B099SJ6469/ref=asc_df_B099SJ6469/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=532923056828&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1667322889819190509&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031869&hvtargid=pla-1409677758688&psc=1

plus you don’t need to damage the insulation on the wire.

3 Likes

That’s just a rich man’s version of biting the wires

3 Likes

A tool only for the bourgeoisie I must admit…

3 Likes

Reading this thread for the first time today. My healthy respect for solvent safety has evolved into a newfound paranoia of “3D spinny friction discs”.

There was a video showing how equipment moves in large manufacturing, and I just rediscovered it. Maybe this can help someone, even if just scrolling through between horror stories.

https://rditechnologies.com/medical-manufacturing/

We incorporated vibration sensors and bearing temperature into our alarms and functions in our automated centrifuge packages. Vibration is never an issue if the bag-loading is done correctly. It helps that we do spinning extraction so biomass is dry when it’s brought up to speed.

I’ve only had one centrifuge start walking, but that was because it was a new install, not anchored, and a soak extraction done by a new employee that didn’t understand the importance of loading a bag in a semi-balanced manner.

Bearing temperature is what dictates our frequency of greasing.

Since doing this, we’ve seen 1.5+ years so far running 24/5 on factory bearings.

2 Likes

Bump…

Because I ran into another last night…and this time I was driving.

It sounded terrible, and operator shared that “this one scares me”…as well it should.

Diagnoses before dissection is that the mechanical seal failed and the bearings were run without lubricant/with only cannabinoids and ethanol as lubricant repeatedly.

It’s unlikely I’ll get to explore the failure in depth any time soon.

2 Likes

Seriously, your centrifuge can literally disassemble itself infront of your eyes if you’re not diligent…

I found the fastener on the floor, put it back, and couldn’t believe how fast it came back out…had to put it back a couple more times to get full length video to share with the rest of the team (umm, guys, if you see fasteners on the floor, you MUST figure out where they came from…or make that my problem).

6 Likes

Did you add loctite?

2 Likes

Literally cartoonish…

No sir, I forgot to add that instruction when I delegated.

I hate it when I see this thread get bumped; makes me worry. Vibration can take stuff apart. I have hard line going to a pump and I always tighten my tri clamps on it and they are a bit loose if I forget to tighten them.

1 Like

Tie wire is your friend. Regular steel tie wire will make your stuff rust so I’d advise getting a small spool of stainless MIG wire to do the same job.

4 Likes

Thank you good sir.

I’m planning on just switching it to a soft line as a vibration break.