Help setting up a higher output extraction station

I have gone through the bucket tek thread, the extraction process isn’t new to me by any means.

I’ve done lots of ethanol soaks and recoveries and I’ve rigged up small diy systems plenty of times. I’m at the point though where I want to do it right the first time and not have to fiddle with crap. Sometimes I find the DIY method takes more time and wastes more money than forking up the cash up front.

I have read up on pandas, and a buddy of mine bought 4 of them to try and take over extracting for me doing bucket tek and pandas and couldn’t keep up. The pandas also kept overheating the crude.

I’d rather not run a panda and go with a rotovap or ffe or something.
I’ll be building the room to spec, so ventilation and safety will be all strictly controlled by me.
No solvent limitations, I’ll be distilling the end product regardless. Methanol sounds interesting…
No other equipment - I need everything for this project.
Not part of the budget, I already have the 5L spd kit being produced to my specs.
What do you mean by am I dead set in distillate?
I’m actually a great DIY’r, that’s how I got to the point I’m at by fabricating pretty much everything until I bought my first CLS.
If it’s a good solid build I’m down to implement it, especially if it saves me some cash.
I just want a nice solid and safe system.

Panda is not a substitute for a rotovap or FFE. Nor should it add significant heat.

There are certainly folks here pushing 100lb/day through a panda & buckets

Can you run us through what your buddy was doing?

@Demontrich, tell us how it’s done.

@DriftlessOil, have you sold your setup?

3 Likes

What would you like to know?

Thuroughput of washed material?

Edit
A panda does nothing more than solvent recovery from biomass.

It shouldnt heat up. But it does have a motor, this creates friction. Friction = heat.

My cryo dragon never overheated. Or heated the biomass up

1 Like

Honestly I’m not exactly sure what he was doing, I just know he reported a bunch of issues. That being said I can’t say whether his skillset was up to where I would consider mine.
I’m not saying I’m opposed to other methods at all. I’m always willing to be shown a better (cheaper) path. That’ll save more money for trim :grin:

Please be careful with the Chinese centrifuges folks. They have been the cause of a few fires according to some industry folks I know. 1 for sure in Washington that caused an investigation into the equipment and sellers.

Our centrifuges aren’t cheap (neither are lambos :person_shrugging:t3:) but I have seen LOTS of used deltas around for not that expensive.

Please do yourself a favor and save money on less essential equipment. Buy a spd instead of a wiper, buy a roto instead of a FFE but for the love of god get a safely made centrifuge.

2 Likes

Allow me to introduce Heptane barrel tek:

Basically a ghetto version of how they do large scale hexane edible oil extraction. Use a mag drive centrifugal pump with appropriate atex motor to pp from the sump in the bottom to a spray ball in the lid. Pump through a BPHE hooked to a small chiller to keep the solvent cooled so it doesn’t boil off.

Connect a large Graham condenser or dephlegmator in the lid to a flex line connected directly to your explosion proof exhaust system (this will negatively pressurize your barrel keeping the vapor from leaking out).

Mill your material and use undyed cotton cloth above the sump screen to hold it. You can easily fit 40kg of fresh frozen in a go.

Lastly, make a press to squeeze the lion’s share of the solvent using the same vent system. Obviously only do this while the solvent is cold.

3 washes of about 50l of solvent for 1 hour each pulls just about everything. Then LLE into methanol for room temp winterization.

There’s a ton of common sense stuff with this method (like ground the shit out of everything) but that’s the rough method. This is not how we’re currently processing but considering switching over.

6 Likes

You can probably do 100lb a day with buckets and several pandas. Won’t be the most efficient but will be cheap. Get a bunch of 5 gal extraction bags, load them up with weed about halfway so that they still fit in the panda easily. Get a 30gal poly drum. With 30gal of ethanol you can definitely extract 50lb of weed (in batches) and get a good yield. Get a large -80 freezer such that you can cool 30gal of ethanol.

Soak 50lb in 30gal ethanol (in batches), or even more in a 55gal drum, in cryo ethanol, pull bags of weed out, spin in panda, suck tincture out of poly drum thru a staged stainless steel cartridge or bag filter assembly, rotovap. Would probably be pretty tough to get 100lb all the way to a decarbed state in 8 hours with this method tho.

3 Likes

Also adding up total costs for the barrel tek, excluding labor, you’d be pretty close to that budget.

3 barrels at $300 each with an additional $150 in parts -$1350

Expeller press parts including extra lid - $550

Pump -$1000 (got ours set up for $150 but it was a hell of a deal)

60l sep funnel parts -$300

Lid vent condensers ($200 ea), hose ($100 ea) and fittings ($50 per lid) - $700

Solvent cooler HX and fittings $250

Small chiller - $750

50L rotovap ($6k ea) -$12k

Feed and drain kegs+fittings ($400 ea) - $800

That’s $17,700 total by my probably sketchy math. This is assuming you have some stuff which maybe you don’t (vacuum and cooling source for solvent recovery). Also not included is filtration gear for winterization. But if you have a couple minions (one to run the extractions, another to tend solvent recovery, another for running the LLE, and one more to run filtration you could conceivably run 100 lbs a day soup to nuts. What you do with the crude when you get it is also in question. IME heptane and methanol are both very volatile so if you run deep enough vacuum in the rotovap you’ll have a very flavorful crude that can be polished to make a great extract without going the distillate route. Only issue is that you’ll have a shitload of fats that will make polishing shitty if you do it in Heptane and it just flat doesn’t work with methanol. LLE or distillation BACK to heptane is an option but there goes your yield and throughput (but it will make a hella clean oil if done right).

2 Likes

Care to spoon feed me the info on the Chinese centrifuge that caused fire in Washington?

3 Likes

Deleted read wrong :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

@anon16547145: I second @broken_glassware’s request for more data on these flaming Chinese fuges. What’s the tell?

1 Like

I mean it’s from Elliot so take it with a grain of salt

But the investigation I heard I’m from the owner of the processing company I’m director of operations for. We sold all the questionable gear and uprgraded to appease our insurance company and landlord.

1 Like

Thanks!

While I’d say that the safety concerns are genuine, I suspect that the operator(s) had some level of culpability based on the way some of the crews I’ve seen run them ignore strange new noises.

if you don’t maintain them, they can be pretty scary. The trick is not to ignore them when they ask for help.

in order to go up in flames, someone has to have been ignoring a leak imo…and chances are they were running above the flash point of the solvent (16C iirc).

I’d be more worried about the rotor getting loose.

and I have found the nut (that should have been) securing the rotor completely undone after a panic stop for unusual vibration. I don’t recommend spinning rotors held on with a reverse threaded nut backwards. or continuing to run any machine that is making loud noises that it didn’t make when it was new.

3 Likes

The Chinese motors inside of the slotted breadbox on all of these scare the shit out of me. I question the intrinsically safeness HEAVILY.

Like obviously it’s safer than a panda, but it’s not a safe piece of professional extraction equipment.

I can see the shitty fabrication and balancing causing wobble after awhile and if it started rubbing…metal
On metal creates sparks…not a safe thing to have around a spinning tub of solvent.

that actually depends on the metal(s).
see: Spark testing - Wikipedia

yes, stainless sparks…

if your solvent is 20C below it’s flash point, it will take more than sparks to get it lit. that “new rubbing noise” should alert the operator well before enough heat is generated to set the machine on fire.

I prefer to throw Baldor motors in them. so I can swing them harder.

making the landlord happy is always a good thing. As is complying with your insurance companies and the fire marshal’s requirements.

If you are running stuff in a very meagerly budgeted lab or trapping in your garage I get it.
I really do. The price tag on some of this stuff is not justifiable at a small scale.

That being said…f you are running cheap Chinese gear in a gmp certified lab that costs you hundreds of thousands to millions to Build out, you are cutting corners on the wrong stuff especially when the good stuff is available with financing options.

Hedge your bets, spend a lil bit extra on safer gear.

2 Likes

Panda panda panda :panda_face::panda_face::panda_face:

You can do 100lb/day with a panda or two and 2 20 liter rotovaps.

:panda_face::panda_face::panda_face:

3 Likes

45# start to finish (wash-filter-panda) in 1 panda with 2 ppl total…4hrs or less.

2 Likes

Ok, I’m not sure what my buddy was talking about but there’s no way he was using pandas.

I’m starting to see how I “could” accomplish this on a really tight budget. So I’m putting together 2 scenarios for your guys input. Budget or fuck it.

The budget route would obviously be what you guys have been trying to get me to wrap my head around. Bucket tek and pandas and I’d probably just pop for a 50L rotovap/chiller/pump.

The fuck it scenario would have to include a little larger budget. I’m considering getting the BVV centrifuge for the all in one convenience. Pairing that with a 50L rotovap and starting from there.

I’m locked up on a few things on the expensive option. Best way to prechill the solvent then pump the solvent in? Where do I pump the solvent out to from the bottom on the floor? Can I filter/scrub inline?

I think both scenarios pose the option of way more scrubbing and winterizing than I’m used to, so any advice there would be great.

I appreciate everyone’s input so far, it’s been very educational :slight_smile:

1 Like