How do you make a centrifuge go WOOF?

@CapitalismSucks420; and so does sexist bullshit like that!

8 Likes

I’m a pretty experienced electrical person, mostly 12v electrical in my car days and quite a bit of home/commercial electrical experience too.

I can say that I have done the same thing a couple times. Just like anything else in this world you get comfortable and or just go to fast and sometimes grabbing a couple wires and cutting them at once seems like the right choice until you grasp down on those pliers and realize that you should have slowed your roll.

6 Likes

Make a small incision on the wire and spit in it.

If it sizzles/sparks turn it off. Usually gotta make sure its still not dripping from your mouth when it contacts the wire or else you’re zapping your mouth. Not fun.

Also never piss on the third rail.

This is the stupidest way I’ve ever heard to test to see if something is energized.

9 Likes

Nah it works trust me

9 Likes

Me in 20 years

Boy howdy, not what I was expecting to find in here. Tempted to toss this one and start again.

image image image image image image image

So…

1. drive unit has a “silly hat”…a shiny hub cover that doesn’t do much except make it look like all is well when you do your due diligence and peak under the rotor on your brand new machine. Don’t be deceived…

2. bottom of basket it swollen!!! and was full of liquid.

3. swollen basket interacted with “silly hat”. Sparks and eventually fire ensued.

So why is the basket swollen?

First guess was “shaped charge!!”, but then you’ve got a chicken/egg problem…you need swelling to cause ignition, you need ignition to cause swelling…

That theory might be made to work if one assumes a series of shaped charges. an initial imbalance causing a detonation that then makes the next imbalance interaction more likely…

However, after trying to beat one back into some semblance of “fits in the machine”, I’m inclined to support an alternative hypotheses: that the primary cause for the swelling is the same that domes my bags…there was solvent INSIDE the rotor, and it quite literally domed the bottom of the rotor JUST like the bag seen here.

Here is another example of what one might find under the basket…

More honest than the silly hat. Probably more effective too…

8 Likes

I would recommend that you “kill it with fire” but it seems that you’ve already done that

6 Likes

Yeah. Although I’m not particularly enamored of the bosses solution, which is to buy 1/2 dozen BIGGER ones.

4 Likes

You just need to establish the economic thresholds for when they approach explosion age and throw them out right before that

Joking aside, this is how Coors used to design their high pressure vessels. Just bury them in the desert and keep blowing them up until you’re confident of when they’ll blow up

6 Likes

I’m an electrician and this is incredibly stupid it can still be live and not sizzle…then what? It really should only sizzle if it’s shorting hot to neutral or ground

We dont do small incisions either…you just creating a future short opportunity

9 Likes

Testing to failure IS important…

…but I don’t have a mezzanine, and this is supposed to be a production gig not an R&D (repair & destroy) one :shushing_face:

4 Likes

I wasn’t aware there was a difference there lol

6 Likes

See my post above…

2 Likes

Was this a lanphan ?

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Standard oil dump site

why the hell did she need to cut the wire? just disconnect the thing and remove it.

that is a good way to win a Darwin award, try a non contact tester like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Non-Contact-Detector-Klein-Tools-NCVT1P/dp/B099SJ6469/ref=asc_df_B099SJ6469/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=532923056828&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1667322889819190509&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031869&hvtargid=pla-1409677758688&psc=1

plus you don’t need to damage the insulation on the wire.

3 Likes

That’s just a rich man’s version of biting the wires

3 Likes