How do you feel about GMO Cannabis?

She pulled the resistance gene from Raspberry.

Which I find amusing because the first thing our primary investor asked upon learning of my bioengineering background was “can you move cannabinoids into Raspberry?”.

here’s the link. British Library EThOS: Genetic transformation of Cannabis sativa Linn : a multi purpose fibre crop
registration is free.

2 Likes

The Biotech Institute LLC crew is doing marker assisted selection, if I recall correctly? And judging by their patents they first want to end the high saturation of myrcene dominant cultivars.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US9095554B2/en

2 Likes

The future is now and there will be small amounts by the end of the summer from recombinant yeast.

1 Like

I support GMO cannabis and food to fulfill our ever increasing demands for food and energy!!

2 Likes

Cool! I, and others, have proposed marker assisted selection breeding strategies. Same old story, the people with money want instant results not long term serious research, so it’s hard to get it funded. Good for them! So much more cool work to do regarding breeding. Looks like I will be sticking to chemical engineering for now.

2 Likes

@farmerj & @FarmerJoeParker how about controllable male sterility like they play in maize?

although in the case of cannabis it would be a controllable “maleness”.

when you want pollen, you induce it.

1 Like

I feel that certain goals can be achieved with genetic modification, and it’s place is needed.
However, anything that can change cannabis genetics forever should not be taken lightly.

1 Like

What traits do hemp seed breeders select for?

if they are looking to produce cannabinoids?

looks & smells like drug strain cannabis.
doesn’t make appreciable THC
makes lots of some other cannabinoid

if CBG is$60k a kilo, that’s where I’d start :wink:

edit: I didn’t respond earlier because “seed” implied “hemp seed oil”, in which case we were discussing fiber, cannabinoid, or oil seed breeders, and I couldn’t wrap my head around that can of worms.

I hear the Canadian’s try and tri-crop, seems like there might be compromises to all three product streams. @Lincoln20XX?

2 Likes

I see autoflowering hemp being huge in places like florida and texas

1 Like

Absolutely. should be trivial with traditional genetics and marker assisted selection.

as would most of the other traits listed above.
novel cannabinoids. or high levels of non-typical cannabinoids that were not THC is presumably the trick better suited to direct sequence manipulation.

or in-vitro mutagenesis & selection followed by reintroduction of cannabinoid synthase gene(s).

1 Like

From the people I’ve talked to in the hemp industry, trying to tri-crop is a good way to suck at all three. I don’t know too much about the cultivation side of things though, so it’s certainly possible I’m wrong.

1 Like

Ruderalis doesn’t have thca synthesis in it’s genes to begin with

Most of Canada seems to be tri-crop, I’m assuming for seed and seed oil production?

My understanding of tri-crop is that the term is used for production of seed, fibre, and CBD extractable material from a single harvest.

The approved cultivar list for hemp in Canada does not include any cultivars that are generally appropriate for extractable material - they usually top out at 2-3% CBD. There are ways around this, but they involve creative thinking.

Seed and seed oil production were the only viable and legal cultivation aims for hemp prior to October 17, 2018. I’ve been told fibre didn’t pay off as there is nowhere to process it into useful forms in Canada, and selling the flowering parts for CBD extraction was illegal until the 17th.

Basically, in canada, you will get about 10-50x the return optimizing for just CBD extractable material rather than also trying to get an effective yield on seed and fibre.

1 Like

Genetically modified cannabis… hmm

I Am for breeding The cannabis species for improvement. This to me means biosecurity of landraces and development of New strains in various forms of breeding except GMO transgenesis. :grin:

Background info…supporting my answer

Conventional breeding is considered The most basic form of genetic Modification.

Conventional Breeding Has many forms like hybrid , pedigree, line breeding and IBL lines.

IBL is usually The most natural and true from seed after a few generations. Most wild crops are open pollinated as This form. This form of population breeding is Only effected by natural barriers in The area.

GMO breeding : there is transgenesis and cisgenesis.

1. Trangenesis is The form of GMO breeding That scared most people use a activator and terminator with a foreign gene. That is like a mouse gene in a corn crop. IT is Not natural and The gene can move around in The crop and change into novel chemical, toxins and

2.)Cisgenesis is a form of GMO breeding That uses genes from The same crop of a Next variety back into crop. This is used like a form of gene therapy. This GMO application is like accelerated conventional breeding Just way faster.
Cisgenesis works like gene therapy but fir plants.

Molecular breeding

Crispr : This allows The transfer of genes . Individually, iT can be used to enhance a single trait ir multiple.

Mutant breeding: polyploiding using mutagens. This can be used to create New species in a specie . Mutagens vary from chemical , biological or physical. Most used in breeding at The moments are biological, biochemical and chemical agents.

Tricrops seems more to me as an objective in a breeding plan . This where you decide What you Will improve and select on to improve Your crop. Based on The information above The objective in hemp until 2018 was fiber, seeds and seed oil content.

This brings up The question of whether cannabis should be pantented or breeders given rights… :neutral_face:

Sharing is caring. Please feel free to add

4 Likes

Phenotype hunting, genetics and GMO

The general rule of gene expression is

G (Genetics) + E (Environment) = P ( phenotype)

Genes respond to radiation which is environmental stimulus (light, hot, cold, nutrients: basically anything). Some genes can be turned on and off.

Gene expression
A gene need to present and The right conditions to be activated. Tests with uv-b or even leds demonstratie these phenominum. One mutagenic program is exposing seeds to Cosmic radiation before replanting on earth.

Genetic memory

Genetic memory is something That can be explained through vertical and horizontal resistance. All organisms aim to survive and based on parental lineage are given tools That can be activated.

Examples of genes changing ir mutate over time.

Clonal varities of plants That are moved from one part of The World to anext perform slightly different in biomolecules, taste and expression. Examples are blood oranges of Mediterinean region and California , akee of west africa and Jamaica and many more. Just like humans adapt to their surrondings So do plants. Especially crops That grown in soil like grapes with regional flavors etc

Even in clones and tissue culture these mutants appear either as an evolution of The species or regression ( reverse evelotion).

Greenhouse Try to standarize environment conditions to utilize genes to produce certain plant traits like parthenocarpy plants and others for exact genetic expression. Cucumbers if The environment (abiotic) changes then this effects this condition.

Sharing is caring

7 Likes

GMO cookies is a favorite among my customers

4 Likes

Gotta get a cut of that someday…

1 Like

@Raindust My partner in crime finnaly hit the deck welcome :grinning::+1:

2 Likes