How do you adjust light schedules for clones?

I had a small issue last year which I believe cause some odd growth patterns for a few weeks. When I received my clones they were under 24 hour lights on schedule. Normally I like to keep them at 18 because They just don’t need all that light and I don’t need to be running the lights 24 hours a day. My question is what’s your best method for adjusting light schedules for plants that are already On their own timing. I know it’s not good to drastically change the light schedule. Last year I think I dropped it by half hour every four or five days, and still think i stressed them

My main question is because they are currently on 24 hours on time, if I cut a half hour out of the schedule to begin ticking it down to 18 hours, won’t that stress them out more being on for 23 1/2 hours then suddenly getting hit with darkness and then 30 minutes later light again. I am getting another batch of clones that are on an 18 hour light schedule so I’m trying to figure out what’s my best course of action to get them all on the same light schedule, and how to best cut that time down from 24 hours on

Thanks all:) looking forward to another successful season

I’ve never had this problem, but I think it would be best to just switch them to 18/6. They will adapt fast and it will be less stress overall compared to changing their schedule up every day.

I’ve always had good look cloning under 18/6 or 20/4. Seems to stress plants out more to not have any “sleep” time.

2 Likes

I agree I’ve never had plants on the 24 hours schedule and I feel like they definitely need some nap time. Perhaps I got weird growth because I was slowly changing the time up every week. Pending any other advice or conflicting advice, I might just go ahead and drop them to 18 and be done with it. As the season gets closer and it’s time for them to go outside I will need to adjust the lighting a little more but for now I just want all my clones on the same schedule and don’t want to run lights all day and night. So, taking clones on a 24 hour on light cycle and cutting out six hours overnight. Any Strong disagreement? I don’t know why I’ve always read or been under the impression that drastic changes and light cycles fucked them up. I guess as long as I’m way over the 12 hour mark it shouldn’t be an issue and they will adjust. Thank you for the advice so far far

I guess I actually should be very clear, they’re not small clones they’re actually well into veg. I guess I just called them clones because well, they were clones that I got a few weeks ago. My purple punches are almost a foot tall already

Post a pic

It’s easy to spot a reveg if that’s what’s happening. It could also be stress.

I agree that they like a break from the light. Ive never liked 24-0

Futher reading on the subject interesting article, he states 24-0 is best! haha sometimes it nice to read the opposing view, I however still disagree - https://themodern.farm/day-length-in-veg/

to stay on topic, I would literally just start the light schedule whenever. I dont think theyre going to get stressed out by transitioning.

1 Like

Plants that are root bound will try to initiate flower regardless of light. Its the same way with ornamental plants. My lantana blooms in the winter but shouldn’t but when the plants become root bound in the trays they initiate the reproductive cycle.

I agree with 18/6 but there is always more than 1 factor for a plants decision to procreate.

My suggestion would be transplant into a bigger container and change the light cycle to your desired times.

They just went from 4” pots into 3 gallon pots. They have plenty of room to grow :slight_smile:

And I don’t have any issues yet since I never changed it. They have been on 24 hours since I got them, but at some point they are going outside so I figured I will cut the time down now to 18 and as time gets closer to going outside, tick them back. It wasn’t a major issue or anything but last year I had some weird curling growth, Lots of one fingered or three finger leaves. It was early on so they got back to normal after a while but I just want to be as gentle as I can :slight_smile: I just wanted to make sure that if I take them from 24 hours that they are on now, and just change them to 18 hours that they won’t freak out too much Gonna turn them off at 10pm-4am

Ive always just changed it to 18-6 Ive never had issue I think they actually love it because of the little break

1,3,5 leaves etc that is a plant revegging. Meaning it was going into flower then it went back into veg

When do you put them outside in your area?

That indicates stress or reveg.

Perfect I say you are good to adjust the light.
Here’s my Aqua Women going into flower under 24 hr lights. Root bound and initiating flower.

5 Likes

I use 24hrs of light for clones and for the first week of veg in my rdwc system. Once established and clearly growing I cut to 18/6.

6 Likes

Super nice root mass @Cloner what’s ur fertigation regime look like?

It’s certainly weather dependent but in general for veg. High Nitrate and Low Phosphorus, With healthy amounts of soluble Calcium and Magnesium, Boron also.

1 Like