Hot water heater

I’ve done it, and it works just fine. What’s your question?

1 Like

Ok awesome. Is 55 gal enough of a rez? Will the flow rate slow down if I feed the heater hot water?

Depends on how much the ffe takes

55 gallons is probably more than enough

my lead extractor keeps reaching for the heat gun

I’m pretty sure he’s kidding, but the delivery is dead pan enough that I’m just not certain (lays out a 100ft extension cord and makes like he’s bringing it into the booth…)

I actually had to run a hot vapor push through the pour spout twice the other day to unfreeze the coil(s) in the collection pot(s). even with 30% glycol in there. only took a few min to thaw the coil.

the quick connect to the hot water loop wasn’t plugged in all the way on one machine, and somebody forgot to open valve on the other one a couple of hrs later.

at some point I’ll probably replumb the coil so it’s in parallel with the jacket rather than in series, so that freezing up the coil doesn’t stop all heat to the pot.

that and immobilize/disable the &$@#(&) heat gun :wink:

3 Likes

This is completely dependent on the heater, which I can’t speak to.

1 Like

Did you run the outlet of the rez to the cold water inlet on the water heater?

I used a large jet pump to feed the hot water heater

that has been claimed. I’ve not seen it. I also don’t understand why anyone would build them that way.

what should happen is the heater flows the same amount of water, and just doesn’t bother heating it. just because it’s already at temp, doesn’t mean the user wants less water. so only moron would engineer the device to reduce flow (imo).

they should certainly stop heating when the don’t sense flow…but reducing flow when the input temp is approaching set point makes no sense given how these things are generally supposed to be used.

I can see some utility in throttling flow if input is ABOVE the set point, but actually achieving that in use seems unlikely, so I wouldn’t actually expect it to be built in.

Yea I totally agree. I’m not certain that the model heater I plan on going with is even capable of litmiting the flow rate. It utilzes a Taco type circulation pump that is wired independently. I’m gonna rig it up and see what happens.

1 Like

Deja vu? Lol

1 Like

What up hope all is well I am having a problem with the tankless hot water heaters I am recirculating the water from a 100 gallon tank as soon as the water gets around 100 degrees in the tank the tankless water heater turns off and won’t turn back on till I unplug it and restart it. I am using a grofundos water pump to circulate the water from the tank to the water heater I am trying to get to 120 degrees any suggestions?

1 Like

What’s the set point on the tankless you’re using? I like the Rheem with a high of 140°f. Some units really don’t like being fed hot water though, when water finally gets to temp or the load on the heater isn’t present, you can get error codes

So long as the water is moving the delta t will get to a point that the unit fires back up and continues. My experience has strictly been with Rheem units, but this delta t issue on incoming and outgoing water is a known issue in systems like this.

Edit: maybe bump the temp on the tankless by 20° and see if it gets you in the 120° ballpark

2 Likes

Don’t feed a tank. Just CLS the hot water loop. Let recovery cool your feed.

Also I just ran into a power issue of my own, and I’m about to hop skip and jump my way over to home depot’s today for a mother fucking liquid propane water heater.

4 Likes

Thank you!! Unfortunately I have a Niven water heater and it only goes to 120. I just grabbed a 50 gallon tank heater but I’m gunna try @vortal suggestion of running the water coming out of the cls instead of just coming right off the tank before I try that

1 Like

If you look at installation manual you will see that you can change dip switches in side unit to alter temps. Altitude and fuel can usually all be adjusted on navien. You shouldn’t need a extra tank.

2 Likes

Thank you I am gunna try that right now

I use a NG hot water heater lol. I have a hot and cold line in the shop. I use to hose lines coming off with a cheap a Mason grunfos knock off 3 speed Inline with the hot water inlet on the bottom of my collection then I return it back thew the Coldwater lines. Where my 6x12 base joins my 6x36 spool for my collection I put a tee and a valve going to waste. It let’s cold water run threw the 6x36 and hot water run threw the 6x12 base. It refluxes and cleans the side walls nicely. I can take this setup anywhere and just use the washer and dryer hookups with garden hoses. I often set up on site at outdoor grows and extract for weeks. Pack up and hit the road. Hit water heaters get me 3lbs a min 12000btu set to max

4 Likes

Does this need a filter inline?

Im not gunna bother catching up on this entire thread… But if electricity is an issue, you can combat that with a pre-heated reservoir. You would technically be storing KW (heat energy) in the reserved water. It will take some time to heat this much water with say only 1-2KW (sous vide), but it will get you through a few runs before the entire reserve cools down.

1 Like

It doesn’t need one, but that’s not a bad idea.