Hot water heater

Hey, so plumbing is the stuff that I’m the absolute worst at. I currently have a 3 phase 24kw tankless water heater and pump. But our room is now maxed out on power. We have a 50gal 12kw normal water heater for the sinks already installed. I was asked if we could used the normal water heater we already have instead of installing the tankless. I honestly have no idea. As I said I’m clueless about plumbing. Thanks for the help

3 Likes

I’m betting, more info is needed?
Like how much hot water you use. :+1:

2 Likes

Buy a propane or natural gas hot water heater and it’ll save you a ton on energy…

Mine is a 52kw heater and it draws 0 power from the main line. I highly recommend it

17 Likes

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Performance-Plus-8-4-GPM-Liquid-Propane-Outdoor-Tankless-Water-Heater-ECO180XLP3-1/206934781?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-VF-F_D26P-G-D26P-26_10_WATER_HEATERS-Rheem-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-WATER_HEATERS&cm_mmc=Shopping-VF-F_D26P-G-D26P-26_10_WATER_HEATERS-Rheem-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-WATER_HEATERS-71700000033150354-58700003868932471-92700031086650225&gclid=Cj0KCQiA7qP9BRCLARIsABDaZzg9Qn6QrUMpZr0E1x0dKxKtJ6hqeihQ_y4hnoRdsXerib9JtXLa_dgaAuhuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And then outfit it with a close loop recirculating system like this

All in all it shouldn’t cost you more than $12-1500 to completely install this unit. They have other ones that are made for interior installation as well

8 Likes

Hot water for the cls or generally in the building?

Literally the only thing we use the 50gal water heater for is for the few sinks when people wash their hands

2 Likes

Do what fickle said and swap out the other one for a tankless one as well and save that extra bit of energy of not having to keep all that water warm to only be used very lil

1 Like

Unfortunately we don’t have natural gas and there’s no way adding a propane water heater will pass inspections

You couldn’t mount it to the outside of the building and plumb it in?

3 Likes

With propane? That definitely won’t work. The city were operating in is a pain in the ass

Hmm bummer. If you can ever figure that part out. It’s the way to go

1 Like

What’s the main problem with the regular water heater?

It’s 12kw, so depending on how many lbs a min you want of recovery it could be a set back.

2 Likes

I’m running active

2 Likes

Fuck it! Should work great.

No showers

3 Likes

Awesome thanks so much man. Just saved us a ton of money and work. If you’re ever out in LA hit me up. I know we’ve commented on each other’s posts quite a bit over the last few years on here

1 Like

Whenever all this covid shit settle down I’ll be able to travel more without hearing about it from my wife. If you’re ever in Seattle, stop by and check out our spot.

We for sure gotta burn one and chat

4 Likes

Plumb the hot water in not the propane, idk why it wouldnt pass if it was in its own enclosed box and only the hot water comes into the facility

2 Likes

They just limited us to 150lbs of hydrocarbons from 250lb, all being stored in tanks outside in a gated area. I just really doubt they’d let us hook up a propane powered tankless water heater when they’re already tripping about the gas we have. And the fact we have a 50gal already hooked up in a perfect spot is nice.
I appreciate all the responses, but why is everyone suggesting a tankless over the 50gal we already have hooked up? What’s the main skepticism?

Because for only $12-1500 you could have 4x the heat at your finger tips. Because it’s inline it’s a lot more effective at heating the passing water vs a tank mixing with cold water. It’s a game changer.

Not that yours won’t work, I could just see after the initial 50 gallons being used it’s going to take .54 hrs to reheat the entire 50 gallons back up to 100°f from 70°f

So this all depends on flow rate. If you need more than 100 gallons of hot water an hr it could be a chokehold on the system

4 Likes