Hop Latent Viroid

i use the same scalpel blades, cheap and effective. I do recommend having a disposed blade container like a bottle or something cause i sliced myself pretty good throwing a garbage bag into the back of my truck with a used loose blade in it lol

5 Likes

symptoms in veg are 3 finger leaf, weak stems and branches, sometimes weird leaf curls if its really bad. In flower they cant handle average feedings, the buds can be airy and there is very minimal resin development. We call it bud light lol like its not even worth throwing in the hash pile. Depending on the immune system of the plant those symptoms vary. Kind of like a human the lower your metabolic health and immune system are, the easier a virus can do damage.

3 Likes

Those blade are very nice. I am lazy and grey and use a sissors but i always get 90 to 100% germination. Regardless of the tool if your are serious about not spreading it around you need to disinfect between every cut. I disinfect every 7 to 14.

I think I heard on a future cannabis project podcast that bleach doesnā€™t work immediately its best to torch your blade.

Lots of good info here. I think the first link has info regarding the bleach and possibly seed transmission.

im sure you guys are correct. but i pinch off lots of leaves in my thumbnails. I go edward scissor hands two handed plucking like crazy to defoliate. I pluck it to make a clean break between cell walls vs cutting in LOL. For cloning i use fire or bleach or h202 on scissors between plants. I have no standardization, prolly whatevers handy which is usually fire. I have tiny operation. I think in a big one id have lots of scissors and a disinfecting bucket they all hang out in?

1 Like

I was talking to someone today about that. Iā€™d imagine you should wear gloves and spray your gloves with isopropyl alcohol between plants. Thatā€™s how we used to prevent broadmites from traveling on the gardeners

2 Likes

my garden is compact, if its goot mites the whole thing would/ im not gonna say that bugs name 3 times or itll be beetlejuice. Like chicagos mayor image

I always wonder if im taking cuts and they are all going in one cup of water can it transfer via the water?

2 Likes

Isopropyl isnā€™t proven to kill hop latent, I use bleach.

4 Likes

i was thinking the same thing, same with the shot glass of clonex gelā€¦

1 Like

Yes it can be transmitted like that, now I soak my eazy plugs then place into tray, then I take a pipette and drip rooting gel into the whole Iā€™m the cube then plug my cut. That way you are not re dipping cuts into the same gel, even if they are from the same plant I still do this because I find it works even better then just dipping the cut into the gel.

6 Likes

So do you guys change condoms when you swap partners? :thinking:

3 Likes

Depends is sheā€™s been tested or not lol

7 Likes

not if its a 3 someā€¦ lol

1 Like

Whatā€™s your thought on keeping healthy mother plants and continually cloning healthy tops to clean genetics? I know thereā€™s some clones Iā€™ve had that didnā€™t root great and grew a different structure but after multiple cloning and resetting, they grow normal and root easy.

3 Likes

We clone most of our stuff in house from veg plants, topping and cloning at the same time because we are on a repetitive cycle. I only use moms if I want to rapidly build up count of a certain strain. Iā€™ve never tried to clone apexes off something believed to be infected in an effort to clean it up. Once we see 1% viroid in any flavor, we eliminate it immediately. Pretty much all of our stuff starts as 1 mom, so if one has it, they all do, itā€™s just latent in the others.

5 Likes

I wish more folks understood this

3 Likes

I was reading that hplv is 100% asymptomatic in actual hops. Idk if cannabis/hops hybrids get it. I just bought my first cuts off strainly, trying to support a local guy, but I am starting to suspect he has the cooties. 1 of 3 rooted, other 2 died slowly. The one that rooted is in quarantine, and just wonā€™t take off and grow. It looks like it will save me the bother of testing.

1 Like

Are you guys testing now or do you still think that you can visually see affected plants? I have not had any issues out of all my cultivars in flower and in veg they also look great.
If I knew pcr testing was accurate I would do regular testing just to keep an eye but Iā€™m thinking if they are growing good and healthy they wouldnā€™t flag it.

We donā€™t test stuff once itā€™s in our possession, but everything is tested before it comes in. Most anything we bring in comes from various tissue culture labs, and we have gotten dirty stuff from every single tc lab weā€™ve bought from in CA. I donā€™t believe we are spreading it in house because I have strains like mac1, pancake, shortcake and tres leches that have been in the same facility using the same practices with no issues.

4 Likes

Pcr testing has limited false positives. Based on the method of the test the only way youā€™d get a false positive is if the test itself was faulty or if there was a virus similar to hlvd (or covid if youā€™d like to compare it to that). False negatives can happen if the reaction doesnā€™t run long enough

Iā€™ve gotten to the point I can identify it immediately.

Brittle stems being the most glaring issue.

@Medicine.grower id test a few in your stable just to see if youā€™ve got it in the line up. Odds are at this point that you donā€™t have it, but if you did everything would probably have it. So test a few and know for sure. Itā€™s cheap as hell here in the states. $25 a test

3 Likes