Hop Extract Conversions

For all the conversions I’m seeing lately, I have yet to see anyone try hops. They have numerous molecules that should convert just as well as the other cannabinoids, along with their strong terpene profile. Anybody played with this or am I out in left field? I’m talking to you Washington state people. I’m probably going to play with it for fun as a side project, but wanted to see if anyone has any experience.

Cheers!

7 Likes

I had been looking into this a few weeks ago… I live just south of Portland in a rural area with a LOT of hops farms.

I was really intrigued by something I found in this wiki article titled “Hops and Cannabinoids“.

“Hops lack the enzyme that could convert cannabigerolic acid into THC or CBD,[[4]] but it could be inserted using [genetic engineering] as was reported in 2019 for yeast.”

This seemingly indicates that there might be measurable amounts of CBGa in hops.

3 Likes

Seen it done bro… now you can too :wink:

5 Likes

So he uses butane in the video, but the standard extraction of iso-alpha acids for measuring IBU’s is iso-octane. I imagine he pulled more terps with butane, anybody got ideas on solvent combos? Anyone played with hop conversions?

2 Likes

I found a company called hopsteiner that sells kilos of C02 hop extract at reasonable prices. Check em out.

1 Like

Here is one in canada

https://aratingaextracts.ca/ae/

1 Like

I tried with -40 Etoh both pellets and whole cone. The darker sample was extracted with pellets. Didnt like working with pellets. They need to be ground down a bit too to increase surface area.

2 Likes

There might be room for boutique extracts of low volume aroma hops. Hop companies typically stick to “extract” hops which have high content of extractable resins (25% or more). You could look at focusing on single variety extracts of high value aroma hops? Anyways the market is pretty saturated at this point. The big players in the industry are Hopsteiner, John I Haas and Yakima Chief Hops. Kalsec is a botanic company that also does hops. I know I am forgetting a few others though.

6 Likes

Kalsec is here in Michigan. They do a lot of the extracts for the beer big boys like ABI, Constellation and MillerCoors.

2 Likes