Hexane coming back in my test results when I don't have hexane on my property.

I am just curious as to how hexane is coming back in my tests when i do not use hexane for anything in this building. I am using new gas and took apart all machines and cleaned them multiple times. And the tests are still coming back positive. Any help would be fantastic.

1 Like

Have you tried multiple labs? maybe someone is doing something idiotic

3 Likes

Are you distilling your gas?

Which alkanes do you have on site?

There shouldn’t be any hexanes in your butane, but there probably was when it came out of the ground.

Can you post the COA(s)

4 Likes

Ethanol if its “de-natured” is often 1% hexane.
If you are using de-natured ethanol then that’s where its coming from.
Hugh Goldmsith
SRI

5 Likes

Where are you sourcing from?

we are getting material from in house and known growers who do not use sprays. people we have been working with for a very long time.

1 Like

Are you using packaging from china? There are often solvent residues on the containers. I’ve had clients fail on solventless extracts because of the glass and plastic oil packaging from china.

1 Like

Actually denatured ethanol has up to 5% hexane…

can have. depends on the specific formulation. one would expect to see residual ethanol as well if this was the source of contamination (except in OR! where they don’t bother looking…)

@Frostytubes how about those COAs?!?

i will post them in a moment

we have the same problem in LA. we get acetone, hexane, methanol, isopropyl on our test results, none of which is being used at our facility

5 Likes

we even tested extracts from our other facility, different end product, different method of extraction, on THE SAME BIOMASS. still had the same shit in it. it is the lab, it is not you man

6 Likes

Solvent analysis is tough unless mass spec is utilized after separation. Determining identity by elution time alone when in ppm range is fraught with potential error when dealing with relatively low molecular weight low boiling point nonpolar solvents. You should ask the lab how they identified your adulterant as hexane.

1 Like

Distill ur gas at about 80-84f no where above.

This should keep the heavy gas behind. Some butane is known to have several heavy gases I’ve always heard.

2 Likes

How about getting a sample of the butane you are extracting with analyzed?
The refining industry splits out several grades of butane which all contain most of the alkanes as inpurities.
Air Liquide had three grades.
Air Liquide Butane Grades
Rule out the obvious cause first.
Or, as Click and Clack say: “Test don’t guess.”

Might be heavy plant lipids or terpenes giving a false hexane spike