Heptane, water mix for oils extraction of biomass

Looking at a wet extraction project request with existing clumpy water entrained biomass. Starting with 55%-60% moisture biomass on a ‘2nd pass’ extraction… couple percentage points to go after but enough commercial benefit to justify the work.

Doing initial tests within couple weeks but figure some of you might be able to save us the time spent…

Water layer bottom, Hept layer top… job done, right :wink:

likely outcomes / issues on decanting, diffusing of oils?

open to better ideas…

3 Likes

And how much is that time worth to you? This sounds like consultant territory to me.

Otherwise get to reading.

https://future4200.com/search?context=topic&context_id=174684&q=Heptane%20lle&skip_context=true

4 Likes

Sounds like you need a WATER consultant?
Big time
Can you possibly decrypt the meaning of this statement:
“Starting with 55%-60% moisture biomass on a ‘2nd pass’ extraction…”??
Glad to help but you’re on the clock.

2 Likes

yep, agreed.

When said save us time spent, meant a lot of wasted time as in - you will rue the day you take this on.

RE: going after last percent or two has never really worked well out for anyone … the sugar load on fresh watered down material kills it… breaking resulting emulsion too problematic… (feel free to add to this list)

how much is it worth to us? 2-3 months work for our small team. half that for someone who can bring specific practical experience to the table.

yep agreed. we plan to bring someone on with the right practical experience for this project. I just posted here as we don’t often enough.

so feedstock is fresh processed with 1%-1.5% target oils left, biomass was never dried and comes to us at around 85%-90% moisture content (neutral h20). We can run through a screw press and take it to circa 58% moisture.

happy to speak and keep it very high level.

So youre screw pressing “fresh material” that has be previously extracted ?
That’s the part I don’t get…
Or do you mean after you screw press fresh material, your biomass retains 50% H20 and 0f that material ( 50% H20/50% bio)
There is 1-2 % cannabinoid left?

On a wet basis of 90% H20 what was the original cannabinoid…?

Because it is fresh…and the press liquid is very complex , what is the % cannabinoid in first press liquid.

“That number” differs significantly whether you are pressing Hemp CBDA vs Marjuana THCA.

And of course the screw head pressure and temp.

We on same page?

1 Like

PM sent…

@Lincoln20XX knows a lot about this

4 Likes

Oh I wouldn’t say a lot but I sure have banged my head against this type of problem on more than one occasion.

There are a few common problems in this area. Some of which are easy to solve. Some of which are expensive.

4 Likes

I have experience with this on a decent scale

I can tell you by the sounds of it you could be doing things much more efficiently

My biomass is never that wet when I extract it, even when fresh out of a wet bail

3 Likes

Tks for the posts. along lines what I expected to hear Lincoln, but still need to pursue a solution.

This is a 2nd pass processing. it’s not ensiled. high value Fresh harvest processed without drying, we get it pretty wet as feedstock but with 1% target oil left, a dry COA? 6%+? will know by Monday.

Will reach out to any who post on here with practical experience of processing wet material with solvent.

Not interested in water extraction been there, done that, seen that since 2018. not applicable here.

spoke with a couple people and even a large processor and friend who labored with this approach for months.

emulsification issues and a high capex/energy costs put us and our customer off the approach. they opted for a simple drying solution and then a tried/proven ethanol approach.

feel free to reach out in the future if you have production scale experience with fresh frozen hydrocarbon, 2nd pass extraction. Happy to engage and pay for you time, involve you with current/future projects.

1 Like

It is not emulsification, but that is a technical point…
going back after remainder… in wet material…no matter
How much you squeeze it out…is problematic… you froze it and freeze fractured the plant material.
Alcohol and the “louche” are problematic…
That is why you need a “water” advisor…your problem is water…
Not cannabinoids. You claim you know “all about” water…
Well there you have it…solution…dry it!

1 Like