Hempocalypse - a call to action!

Dear community.

As you know, the time for comments on the proposed Farm Bill changes are coming up and comment time is coming to an end.

To all you hemp farmers and breeders out there, I would like to throw out a proposal that I feel would be beneficial to everybody, especially small farmers, who fear the hot crop. I don’t normally get this active, so I apologize, but if you agree with the below and have the time, I would like to ask for a favor.

I think it is a losing battle to quibble over the 0.3% number. There are a bunch of reasons why (and we can talk about them), but I don’t feel there is a strong enough base of information to choose the “right” number without it being arbitrary. Instead, it seems more reasonable to make the hemp:marijuana determination based on genetics. In my brain, it makes a lot of intuitive sense to say that if the plant is completely lacking the THCA synthase gene it should qualify as hemp, leaky enzymes or not.

(I only play geneticist on TV…)

If somebody wants to keep a number (0.3% or whatever) on the consumer facing product, let it be what it will be.

Now you suddenly are in a position for the breeders out there to validate their source stock, be it seed, or clone, or CTC, and sell to a wide range of growers who could bypass this testing.

For simple governmental oversight purposes, simple FTIR field screening should be more than able to quickly discern the difference between a leaky enzyme and a crop that mysteriously “evolved”. And if there was a real concern one could go back and validate that the genetics grown are what was stated. (If one cared enough to do a full map).

While yes, a test for THCa syntheses is a “bit” more expensive, if structured properly this would reduce a hell of a lot of testing in the field, and many a grower would be able to sleep a bit easier at night.

And yes, this does put a bit more onus on the sellers of seeds, but IMHO I would not not to work with someone who want confident enough to do this testing anyway. Any of the really reliable folks already have this information (or should).

This would also allow for interstate transport of material in the supply chain (at least in the flower form) without stressing out over having your livelihood destroyed. (Not sure it would help for the various concentrated forms, but it is a start)

If you made it this far, thanks! On a flight back from a great time at MJBIZ, and I may be rambling a bit.

Now, the favor.

If you feel this is at least a reasonable start, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, take the time to comment on the USDA site

here is a link: Regulations.gov

AND please take the time to call your local Reps and Senators. Ask for whomever handles their agricultural issues, and talk to them directly.

Here is a link for to help you find your rep: Find Your Representative | house.gov

I believe that it does matter, even though time is short. But if we don’t try to stop the bus, it will essentially roll over many a small farmer. Already has.

Thanks again for taking the time to get this far.

Oh, I am pretty sensitive, so no flaming! :slight_smile:

-peace.

4 Likes

Does such a plant exist, or are you talking about a hypothetical?

In general I am very paranoid towards ideas that voluntarily consolidate approval and distribution of genetics.

To all you hemp farmers and breeders out there, I would like to throw out a proposal that I feel would be beneficial to everybody, especially small farmers

Why small farmers specifically? This seems to primarily benefit new large-scale farmers by dummy-proofing cultivation compliance.

1 Like

I get the hesitancy to open up genetics, and I don’t think that the purchaser (i.e., grower) needs to even see the genetics. They just need it “certified”. I get that there are those who don’t trust the government to hold this info safely. I feel they could, but I get your concern. Just wanted to point out I am not advocating for giving away your genetics or, more importantly, what gene’s you might be looking at outside of the one that is relevant.

Why small farmers? Take a scenario of someone doing boutique indoor grows at a very small scale. Say 2lbs flower per week harvest. Every week. Same genetics. Think about the testing agony that this scenario presents. Each week would be a “crop” under this scenario (at least in oregon…).

sucks, really.

1 Like