Hemp Retail Startup

So, after almost three years of being in business, I am happy to say I am opening up a retail location for my brand.

Within the last six months after moving into a commercial production space, it has became apparent this is the next move towards vertical integration.

I have a loyal local clientele and the market cornered in my city. I have worked retail in multiple stores selling my brands hemp products. A majority of my business is wholesale, but I have strong website sales as well.

I currently have isolate, broad spectrum, full spectrum, CBD/CBG and CBD/CBN tinctures, along with one for pets. A few topicals, bath bombs, some concentrates. Smokable flower, prerolls. All together about 30 items.

What am I missing?

Off the top of my head I can think of gummies, dog treats, and lotion that may be something I would need to add to the lineup.

I am not against carrying other brands, but not too excited about it.

Any input from forum members with experience opening up hemp retail storefronts would be greatly appreciated. Much love guys :call_me_hand:

14 Likes

I have a decent catalogue that’s dated from companies in a google drive folder if you want to get updated current ones from. May help jumpstart some ideas. I opened up our retail store right before covid and it’s sitting till we make decisions with Oklahoma

Pet treats not just tinctures. Dog treats were one of our best sellers with a partnership in the past.

Chocolates and sweets do super well.

3 Likes

The only thing I’d suggest in regards to carrying other brands is do it as long as the items drive customers to your business. I’m not sure of the hemp market, but when I used to run a retail store we would have patients drive to our spot for certain brands because they weren’t available every where else.

The biggest driving factor for me in this industry is the terps. If you can get people excited about terpenes, I think they’ll eat from the palm of your hand.

3 Likes

If you decide to carry other brands @steelrollin has a strong foothold with his cbd distillery hemp extracts and products. Many retailers I’ve been to across the country have their line or some of their best sellers.

His b2b game is legit

4 Likes

Do you carry raw isolate and Distillate? Cbn? If not gram em up and make eighths quads half’s and zips.

Flower by the lb? Flower by the oz flower by the eighth

Just thinking basics

Advertising flowers by the lb would be something good. Sure got texas excited lol

1 Like

I’d prefer not to provide the customers with isolate or distillate, kind of seems like giving them a fishing pole and teaching them to fish instead of selling them fish tacos everyday

I do like the cbdistillery lineup, along with a couple other big brands. Not sure if I should put “competing” brands on the shelves next to my similar items.

As far as large amounts of flower as well, I’d rather not go larger than an 1/8th unless specifically requested by the customer. Seems like an Oz would be 7 missed opportunities for add on items and customer interaction

5 Likes

Never pass up a customer. Could have a bunch of affiliate resellers walking in the door too. Don’t give up all the local customer base. Lol in texas by the lb it went off the shelves like nothing lol

3 Likes

That’s good to know, a few turkey bags on the shelves would be an eye catcher I’m sure

I had a wall of them lol it’s down the road. Collecting dust. We’re too focused on oklahoma because of the d8 debacle I closed up shop, tired of not being around legit marijuana and it’s been a year.

1 Like

I can help you add a few SKUs you are not carrying. Easy stuff my man!

3 Likes

He makes incredible products. Have definitely tested them thoroughly :heart:

But I’m just saying. Try something different. I definitely have good ideas and I sometimes make incredible successes. Hell texas is probably so far away from you. Having different places products is cool so people know what’s on the east. The south etc. Texas is an easy sell whether anyone not from there doesn’t want to hear it or not.

But most people don’t know where things come from. So maybe make a small area focused on products from different regions as your area with different branded products you didn’t make.

2 Likes

You’re missing live plants and hemp seeds. What state are you in?

1 Like

Well thanks for the shout out that is much appreciated! If any retailers carry our products we also put you on our website so people searching for a local retailer will be able to find your shop. Our website generally gets about 100,000-200,000 visitors a day.

EDIT: I should probably include our website lol www.thecbdistillery.com

1 Like

We have sourced high and low and found some gummies we are happy with and can offer to
you at wholesale if interested. Check out our options: https://fusioncbd.com/shop/?filter_cat_2=70

Where are you opening the store? Make sure local laws allow what you are carrying. Happy to answer any questions. We just opened our second store last week, and three more on the way.

-adam

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes