Hemp fertilizer & irrigation

Our hemp industry here in WA is opening up this season with the passing of the farm bill. We just got our license and are planning on doing an acre or two for CBD/CBG. I was wondering what sort of dry organic amendments/compost everyone’s using and where to source. Also, what type of irrigation? I can get 50 lb bags of organic fertilizer at a local supply house and have a lot of experience with the blusoak drip irrigation for Blumats. I’m Curious to know what others are doing.

2 Likes

So I planted an irrigated 60acres of female cbd hemp plants.

Drip irrigation is the best hands down.

For fertilizer, you need to do a soil test first. Then based off of that you buy your amendments.

You can DM for specifics on irrigation I designed and installed the whole 60 acre system.

2 Likes

How mich did u spend to ammend 60 acres?

1 Like

It came out to around $200/acre

If you buy in hulk it’s way cheap.
I spent more 3 years ago amending my 2 acres with 50 lb bags. Was like $600-700/acre that way

1 Like

I have 20 acres that i want to suplement with irrigation. It has drain tiles throughout. How big/ how many pumps did you use for 60 acres? How long was each watering cycle per zone? How often did the irrigation occur? How wide/how deep is your well(s)?

1 Like

Pulled from a river.

One pump, 6 zones. It’s from berry hill irrigation but those guys have the worst customer service. Most horrible experience going through them.

Around 4-5 hours per zone to soak it.

Irrigation was dependent on conditions. In July everyday later season not so often

Are you irrigating from a well? Or?

Where did you source your bulk amendments? $200/acre ain’t bad at all. I’m on the West Coast. Since I’m only doing the 2 acres max this year, I might just be buying them by the 50 lb bag. I’ve got my soil test results and just need someone smarter than me to tell me what I’m gonna need. I think I can get pallets shipped up from Concentrates in Oregon or I can buy by the bag at my local supplier, who also gets it from concentrates. I’m sure there’s someplace closer, I just haven’t found it yet.

I’ll be watering from a well. My plan is to run pvc from the main waterline the width of the field. Then T off the blusoak lines from the pvc for each row. I’m gonna run them under plastic mulch since the tape is fairly sensitive to little punctures. Anyone mulch their rows?I really have no experience with large scale farming, but 2 acres seems like a good starting point. I think the blusoak hoses run off 3-5 psi so large areas aren’t a problem.I’m wondering if I should stick with the drip irrigation I have experience with or go with something else. I’m open to suggestions.

How long are your rows? Any elevation in rows?

Drip tape + plastic mulch for the win

Good to know I’m on the right track. They’ll end up being about 300 ft long and pretty level ground. I’ll be doing around 60 rows spaced 5-6 ft. This is the max we plan doing, most likely will be less, since we’re trying to play it safe. Do you run your rows and cap them or tie them end back into the main water supply so water can be fed from both ends? I appreciate all your insight.

1 Like