Hemp farm 2020

Looking to vertically integrate my established CBD company via starting a 25 acre hemp farm in Oregon.

The farm was previously rented to a veggie company and we are unsure of what chemicals they may have used.

Hoping to get a ballpark idea on costs per acre, labor costs, extraction requirements, equipment to purchase. I have experience with small and medium scale operations in the past but nothing with large scale hemp yet.

These are some of my main questions

1. Hemp License required to grow/process onsite
  2. Drip Tape/Plastic Mulch costs per acre
  3. Greenhouses for Starts
  4. Genetics
  5. Estimated man hours/week for weeding/upkeep on 25 acres
  6. Drying space required? Hang dry or rack system? Fans/Dehumidifiers recommended
  7. Equipment required?
  8. Can you even grow smokable hemp flower in OR anymore
  9. How to store biomass properly to prevent degradation

Any info/ ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

1 Like

Welcome! You’ll find that if you take some time to use the search bar for your various questions, there is a plethora of information available, especially about growing in Oregon.

I’ll leave you with this… plan on planting a handful of varieties that have different harvest timeframes (early, mid, late). That will help to reduce the labor crunch and stagger the drying space requirements come harvest.

6 Likes

Thanks for the info! We have a fairly large shop that has nice level floors and room for a forklift planning on constructing a rack drying system.

If legwork isnt your thing, I’m sure there is someone here that would relish the opportunity to make sure an operation like this runs correctly, both in terms of budget and ethics.

The classic question of what you have more, money or time.

3 Likes

I am located near rogue river and familiar with hemp production sops, Oregon regulations and local techniques. Send me a dm and we can work out a way to have a successful hemp farm 2020

1 Like

thank you for the offer, it would be great to find a verified consultant in the Eugene area to chat with

How’s it going? Did you figure it all out?

https://future4200.com/uploads/short-url/lgEDN60ZElIoFTPzX4aaKWtGjlV.xlsx

Unfortunately it fell through, maybe for the best though with all that is going on now.

1 Like

Also my costs to manufacture the products for my company keep going down. It made more sense financially to just stick to what I’m doing and not take the huge gamble on a farm

1 Like

You were planning on leasing the land?

No the land belongs to a friend, paid off. We may give it another go at some point

Is there anything in rotation on this land or its overgrown? Is there irrigation?

Just wondering - we do “dry farming” no irrigation only drain tiles

1 Like

It may need a few rocks cleared and rye grass cut but not overgrown too bad. Water rights, electricity at water source but not irrigated currently. 120x60 foot shop with level concrete floors and electric. 20 mins from Eug

1 Like